All New Gantt in ERPNext

@rmehta @netchampfaris Definitely! The whole front-end needs a big refactor, it could be a lot cleaner - I’d be happy to do that to start with (or any other part of the project!).

2 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:

I was checking out the new gantt view and it truly is a big step forward from the previous one.
I usually use the Gantt chart in week view, so I was wondering if it is possible to change the default view of the Gantt chart from Day to Week.

@netchampfaris, this looks awesome. I know I’m going to get some great use out of this feature once 7.1 is released.

I noticed that the doctypes that are supported are ones with a Start and End date, but it’s not quite clear if some documents would fit. I’m specifically thinking of Material Requests and Purchase Orders, whose “Start Date” is when it is created and the End date would be the “Required By” field based on each item in their tables.

I think it would be awesome to be able to do a Gannt chart for one of these docs and see each item broken down with when they are required. This could cascade into seeing when Production Orders are scheduled so that you can see how late deliveries would affect production schedule, etc.

Would it be possible to use the current Gantt framework to look at documents where the start and end dates are contained in child tables (or one of the dates in the parent doc and the other in the child table field)?

Thanks for the great work!

3 Likes

@Ben_Cornwell_Mott It is tricky when child tables are involved :sweat_smile:, but it is possible, I think.

1 Like

one question…

If I move tasks that other tasks depend on - why are the depending tasks not moving

so if
“Montage” depends on “RE chnung”
and I move “RE chnung”
why is “Montage” not moving forward?

It definitely looks much nicer, but it is still lacking a lot of functionality to be actually useful as a dynamic planning tool (right now it is more of an alternative view of tasks).

It would be nice if certain task (with multiple dependencies) could be marked as “milestones” with a special visibility. Related to this, it would be nice if there were task groups (or sub-tasks) that could be collapsed. Then the overall task should be shown with the earliest start date and the last end date of all included tasks.

Sorting after priority and end date would be also helpful and maybe there could be some way of color-coding tasks?

In the log run (but I guess that would require significant code changes) it would be awesome if there was an option to generate “baselines” i.e. snapshots of earlier planning stages that can be compared to the current time plan to identify common bottlenecks or planning mistakes etc.

P.S.: Sorting after “subject” and “name” is kind of redundant no?

P.P.S.: Filters are great, but could the fields have a automatic drop-down list of possible items?

I agree it is lacking a lot of features, lets start by creating issues per feature :slight_smile:

You mean in github? Normally people don’t like spamming the github issues tracker with feature-requests (but I am guilty of that too).

Hi @netchampfaris,

I think for a better overview the Tasks should also show their project

[Bug]

also the tasks show up one day less in Gant then they are scheduled in form

@spa This was fixed with this PR

1 Like

Hi @spa,
I am a little confused as to how the dependent tasks should move when the parent task is delayed. Can you explain in detail, what should be the expected behaviour. Should it move based on change of start date or end date.

I think it should move based on the change of end date.
Usually dependency means that the dependent task cannot start before the parent task is finished.

@creador So, start date of dependent task cannot be before end date of parent task?

That’s right, dependent tasks cannot start until the parent task is complete. Having the start date and end date move automatically on a child task if the parent moves is a great benefit. It’s the beginning of some great dynamic planning.

Some software also allow setting subtasks or percentage of completion as dependencies, but I think it would be more difficult to implement.
In most of the software, start date of dependent task cannot be before end date of parent task. I think this implementation should be enough for almost all cases.

1 Like

I think it is logical for start time of dependant task to be before the end time of parent task.Parent task cannot end unless all the dependant tasks have ended.
Fred

@Fred1 You’re talking about sub-tasks which is different from task dependancies. In a task/sub-task scenario you would set up the “parent” task, and then all of it’s sub-tasks are contained within the parent task timeline as you describe.

Task dependancies are used when a task can’t happen until another task is complete (or sometimes when a certain % is complete as @creador said)

Task/subtask example:
Task: Build a table
Sub-tasks: Buy legs, Cut top, Assemble
All sub-tasks should be within the task timeline. The task is not complete until all sub-tasks are.

Task dependancy example:
Tasks: Buy legs, Cut top, Assemble
Buy legs and Cut top can happen at the same time, but Assemble cannot happen until the other 2 are complete.

2 Likes

@Ben_Cornwell_Mott Is this possible already to create a Gantt view for Material Requests and Purchase Orders? That would be really useful.