Bitnami Stack does not work properly

Does anyone here have any experience with the Bitnami Stack? I recently set up a cloud server on 1&1 because they could deploy the server with the Bitnami Stack of ERPNext already installed and ready to go. I should have expected it wouldn’t be so easy, but I was hopeful anyways. After the cloud server was up and running, I could login to ERPNext, but was unable to add any records or do much anything else besides set up additional users. I’m hoping there is someone here who may know of a way to fix, or if I need to just wipe the server and restart with a typical installation. Any help of advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

@keithpocock

Check this out: GitHub - frappe/bench: CLI to manage Multi-tenant deployments for Frappe apps

1 Like

Thanks @rmehta. Ill take a look for future reference. I just completed a complete reinstall from the easy method on Github.

Hi Everyone. I got a response from Bitnami last night. This is a known issue and they let me know they are working on it. I have gone ahead and installed ERPNext the standard way from Github for the time being.

Well, here we are a full year later and the Bitnami Stack still does not work properly even though the package has been updated to ERPNext version 8.0.46

You can start it up, and add users, but you cannot upload data to it by import, and creating some records manually still fails. I tried this on the Google Cloud Service this week with the latest version and had the same issues reported here in the first post! The problems were not resolved by throwing more resources at it either. I eventually gave up after configuring it for 2 CPU’s and 13GB of ram only to have it show no changes in performance and data issues still occurred.

There is a lot of hype to be found with Google searches about ERPNext with Bitnami stacks, but the reality is far less than the expectations they are pushing.

I know it is difficult for an open source project to control how others use or promote the software, but the constant failures created by the claim of easy implementation by Bitnami, cannot reflect well on the project overall. It might be wise for the foundation to take an interest in this and try to either resolve the problems with the stack, or ask Bitnami to remove it from the menu until they put the time in it to make it work at least as well as a production install.

Not a good experience.

BKM

3 Likes

“It might be wise for the foundation to take an interest in this and try to either resolve the problems with the stack, or ask Bitnami to remove it from the menu until they put the time in it to make it work at least as well as a production install”

Excellent idea - although of course Bitnami competes with erpnext.com for hosting. So the Foundation would need to work out this business issue. The goal is adoption and a rising tide floats all boats

2 Likes

well said @clarkej and @bkm.

Even the easy install has sometimes not been easy for some folk looking at the forums …

But with the Bitnami stack it would be expected that it would mainly work. I would expect the Odoo stack to work, and the ERPNext one should be on a parallel with Odoo in this instance for folk wanting a quick and easy means to test it out

Bump. Can we please revive this topic? I am struggling to get things set up using both ERPNext Google Cloud and VM on Bitnami. I cannot install webshop or any other plugins; permission issues; and supervisorct1 messages that are all linked to each other I perceive.

Can anyone else relate that these issues are only in the Erpnext bitnami package? If so, I will have to deploy a fresh VM - could someone give me a kickstart on that by sharing a document/step-by-step process?

Thanks a heaps guys ! Efforts are massive and highly appreciated.