Frappe Builder licensing question

I saw the new website development tool, Frappe Builder, has been released; great work!

I also noticed on GitHub that Frappe Builder is licensed under AGPL v3, a copyleft license that requires the source code of any projects derived from that application to be available to any web users.

I assume this means that the code of any websites developed using Frappe Builder has to be made available to website users? Or if I misunderstand, can someone please clarify?

Pages published on builder are not extension of the product and don’t have to carry the license/ just like pages published on WordPress don’t become GPL or a document written in Linux.

That’s my understanding. Curious to know why you thought that way.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I just know that the AGPL is a bit controversial re: what is considered a derivative work and what would therefore need to be shared: Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU Licenses - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation. I’ve been told to be careful when developing and publishing any products that use AGPL-licensed applications.

But I can see that if Frappe Builder-created pages are considered standalone code and interact only with the Frappe Builder at “arm’s length” (whatever that means!), then they wouldn’t need to be shared with the user. I’ll assume that’s the case :slight_smile:

3 Likes