GST: Should we change the logic of Amended Invoice naming?

Currently for any changes in submitted invoice, the invoice number changes to add -1, -2, etc behind it. Many times the changes are required to be made even after sending invoice to the client.

After GST the invoice number for supplier and buyer will be matched. Now if buyer’s has already done their system entry with old number, change of this invoice number in our system will lead to additional issues of reconciliation.

Can we think of opposite logic, giving -1 to cancelled invoice and keep invoice number intact in new amended invoice?

I know it may not sound good to many, but think of a scenario, where return (GSTR1) has been filed with old invoice number, but at time of reconciliation(GSTR2) it requires some changes to be done in amount or item code, how can we do it without changing the number?

1 Like

@Mukesh_Variyani
Perhaps you can post your suggestion on

This is a serious problem. Cant find any solution to it any where on forum.

@Mukesh_Variyani can you consider adding a custom field “GST Invoice number”. Write a custom script which can strip of any “-” and letters following it.

You can use that field as the one to report. You can customize print formats to include “GST Invoice number” field in the title.

1 Like

@dhananjay We handled one project issue in same way what you have suggested. It is easily doable with one custom field and a custom script.
It will also require to change all current GST Reports to use the new field as Invoice number.
If we have consensus in favor of similar change, we add this customization to main project and send pull request.

It is a workaround, but for it to be correct we need someone with tax background to confirm this @prakash_hodage , can you help here ?
Never sure what the govt. introduces next, they may decide to explicitly record changes and corrections in invoice and submit a separate record.

hello.
I will try to explain the process we use in our office.

1. we issue an invoice to client.
    – there is a change in the invoice and needs amendment.
    we
    a) . we change original invoice and mail the client a new invoice with the same invoice number so that when we amend the uploaded invoice, the client gets the same invoice number on the portal which should match with his original invoice in boooks.
    b) we get a debit/credit note against the original invoice essentially cancelling the original invoice and then issue a fresh invoice. the same is shared with the client and books are squared off.

the issue with the second process is that its time consuming but it gets the job done. i am not aware about changing invoice number in case of an amended invoice because technically that would make that amended invoice a “new invoice” which would not be good for the books.

why do you change the invoice numeber of an amended invoice to begin with? any legal basis for that because i am not aware of that and if there is any, i would love to improve my own processes.
:slight_smile:

Hello,
Revisiting this question again to see if anyone has found a way to revise previously submitted invoices in a way such that the Invoice No is not changed for compliance purpose.
Or is what is described in the last post of this section the way of doing it? Cancel and Return the original invoice and create a new one?
Scenario where this questions arises is change in original invoice due to wrong data like Quantity or HSN Code etc.
Thanks

With Immutable Ledger releasing in Version 13. Cancellation will not be possible, no only reversal will be possible.

Fields such as HSN code can be updated after submission.

Thanks Dhananjay for your reply.
How are you managing it in v12 or below?
Do we have to create a Return and create a new Invoice? I guess that is the only legitimate way
Does updating HSN code after submission change the Tax Break table?

I checked, the table is not updated, after updating the HSN Code.
Cancellation before filing GST returns are possible, however after filing GST returns, there is no scope. We have to manage via “Sales Return”

Thanks for the help.

Great Idea to work around this problem

I must add, if you are considering this solution for India please consider →
As per new Company’s Act amendment we need to maintain an audit trail of every change made to the Invoice.

This means that changes have to be recorded for every field, this can done via “Customize Form”.