Has anyone ever successfully moved a working ERPNext system to another server without using a server image?

I suggest to use LXD containers and so snapshot / backup / movement is as easy as moving zip files. Snapshot can even be set to auto expire - so you can setup a frequency and old ones get deleted. Inside LXD container you can install erpnext in traditional way. It does not require much extra knowledge of terminology - little setup to forward incoming port 80/443 traffic to container. Let me know if interested - I can share few links.

3 Likes

Hi @zerodiscount I will like to connect with you and learn more about the approach of how you use LXD Containers.

Hi @tobsowo - happy to help you when I can. By no means an expert - or a developer.

There are two LXD related blogs by Simos and Stephane Graeber that will help you a lot for setting up LXD. For ERPNext - once inside an LXD container - it is just like another installation inside any VM. Like with any containerization, benefit of LXD is that it allows you to better utilize your CPU/RAM by running multiple containers of different applications. If your use case requires multiple nodes, backups, clusters, orchestration - there is as much complexity out there as you seek! Most of us are small business owners and likely will not need it.

Anyways - post your queries on the forum - and tag/PM me as needed. Will do my best to answer/help.

Thank you. Can you share the links to the blog posts?

1 Like

Thank you.

Hello netmantha,

I have a v12 Posdemo version and i want to shift that all data to v13. both are different servers. Can u guide how I can move V12 data of pos from server1 to V13 installed ERPNext on server2

Simple, make a private github branches from the existing site for all 3 apps (Frappe, ERPNext and your custom app, if any) and you can use that github path while installing ERPNext on the new server, and then just import the database.

2 Likes

If you want to move entire OS to new server then use Clonezilla network clone

1 Like