Inbox "No Email Account Assigned"

I’m a bit confused about how exactly Email Inbox is supposed to work, so I’m not sure if this is a bug or intended behavior.

• I have an Email Account doctype defined to gather incoming emails, and I am sure it is pulling from the server properly because my administrator account can see the emails in the Communications list.

• In the Email Inbox section of the User document, the desired email address is in the list.

• In the Inbox, however, just the message “No Email Accounts Assigned” is displayed in the middle area where the list should be. In the left sidebar, however, the desired email address is listed as a folder.

What more do I have to do to see incoming emails in the Inbox?

Hello, @peterg
Thanks for reaching out!
What steps did you take for setting up? Also, can you send screenshots related to “In the Inbox, however, just the message “No Email Accounts Assigned” is displayed in the middle area where the list should be. In the left sidebar, however, the desired email address is listed as a folder.” ; so that we can help you better?
Thanks,
J

Here’s the screenshot.

I can make the messages appear if I give the user access to the communication doctype, but then he/she is able to see everyone’s emails.

Is this intended behavior, or is it a glitch related to my setup somehow? Should the inbox allow users to see their assigned mail accounts and not others?

Hi
I think this is the current behaviour. It is a bug which I reported about a year back. I searched on GitHub but can’t find it but know others have reported this same issue

It doesn’t cause our company any problems but it may be an issue for some.

1 Like

Hmm…so email access is either all or nothing? There’s no way to give users access to some accounts but not others? That’s both surprising and unfortunate.

Thanks for your response, though!

Ah no. You can do this :grinning:
You select email accounts that can be read per user by a config in the user settings somewhere. I’m not by my pc so can’t give exact location

That’s good to hear, but there must be something misconfigured in my setup then. I’ve got the email address added to the User’s Email Inbox settings, as per here:

Beyond this, do you know off hand if it’s necessary to also configure role permissions in any particular way? When I grant the user read permission to Communication docs, they can see everything, but without that permission they can’t see anything.

Afraid I can’t remember about whether configuring role permissions is required.

Good luck off to bed now

I know this thread is old, but I have been encountering the same problem, and have a solution that I wanted to share for the benefit of anyone else who stumbles upon this page looking for answers.

Since I’m using a custom role profile, I needed to add access to the Communications doctype in order for a user’s inbox to appear.

1 Like

Hey, all these answers are probably not what you are looking for. I hope this one helps:

Once you have your Email Domain, Email Account linked to User, you want to chose Roles: “Account User” for access to contacts and “Inbox User” for access to inbox.

Hope this helped, you should not have to give the User access to Communications doctype with this method. Also when sending emails, it take a little minute like 10 minutes max.

2 Likes

I don’t see “Inbox User” in the list of Roles (61 in my v12.15 version). What am I missing?

1 Like

Thanks! That is what I’ve missed… At least in v13 that role is available and needs to be assigned to make use of the “Email Inbox”.

this does not work for me