Is there a way to do a regular FTP backup

There is Dropbox backup and AWS backup. Is’n there an integration similar to those that does FTP backup?

This can be done using a cronjob and the native linux bash script.
Let me know what kind of backup are you looking at - full directory backup, just the database, or anything else so that I can give you the script.

I don’t mind database and private folder backup script. I’ve been looking for an alternative for hourly backups so i will appreciate your script… hope you don’t mind me jumping into someone else’s request?:innocent:

1 Like

I was hoping for a simple solution as in case of dropbox or AWS. Enable, configure backup params and that’s it.
I’m not sure which backups those are in dropbox or aws. My guess is both.

@shashank_shirke

Your script would be greatly appreciated by myself and no doubt countless others in the future, please do share

just bumping this up

The script will vary depening on configuration, here some points (I agree that this is something straightforward in crontab):

Step 1: Prepare the remote location (we often use sshmount or similra, but you can also mount ftp). For ftp, prepare this like this:

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install curlftpfs
$ sudo mkdir /mnt/my_ftp

Step 2: mount ftp location
$ sudo curlftpfs ftp-user:ftp-pass@my-ftp-location.local /mnt/my_ftp/

Warning: this contains a clear-text password. I am not sure if there is a better way with ftp. Consider sshmount instead…

After this, the drive will be available.

Step 3: copy /home/frappe/frappe-bench/sites/site1.local/* to /mnt/my_ftp

$ sudo cp -r /home/frappe/frappe-bench/sites/site1.local to /mnt/my_ftp

Note to run a bench backup before you do this.

Put step 2 and step 3 into a bash script and automate with crontab.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

behold

Thank you very much.

Wrote an FTP backup app.
Based on Dropbox backup.
Very rough version, but it works.

Missing

• tests
  • proper backend menu integration
  • v12 support
2 Likes

Just a heads up, if you wanted to backup via SFTP/FTP to another cloud storage (SharePoint, Wasabi, etc.) that isn’t supported, Couchdrop can be the conduit here.

Full disclosure: I work for this company