[Proposal] Overtime Feature

Hi,

I hope I am not too late on this thread.

I think overtime is one of the most misused and abused processes most organizations find among their workforce.

With the attendant cost and regulatory compliance implications, I think it becomes very important to have a clear process to justify and authorize overtime work. Usually the person to authorize overtime is the person’s supervisor. It usually may require another level of approval. The number of overtime hours that are authorized and the number of overtime hours that are worked needs to be clearly captured for each employee for a given day/shift.

The overtime hours worked are for a specific outcome, so even after authorization, there is another level of scrutiny to ensure that the desired outcomes were achieved. For instance A Worker (let’s call him John) is required to churn out 100 Pieces of ItemX, for which he’s approved 2 hours of overtime.

Based on this, John gets to work, but is only able to produce 80 pieces in the 2 hours of overtime. Now the organization has to decide whether to extend John’s overtime or to pay him less. So it means another approval for overtime extension. And after John puts in his claim, there is another authorization to say that the required outcomes of the overtime work was achieved and John can be paid his overtime pay. Or make changes to what he’s paid. Now, how much of all of this is allowed in the regulatory framework that the organization operates in is something that will depend from country to country. Or even from situation to situation.

I think it’s perhaps best to keep this simple and provide a way to capture overtime pay, that a shift supervisor submits on behalf of her/his workers and this is done with a certain amount of validation based on Attendance Time/date stamp and number of hours worked, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Jay