SEO & Startup Code

Hi, the github wiki on how to include Google Analystics and twitter etc is clear.

However, especially for SAAS users of ERPNext, Search Engine info is crucial. Dogs Love It resides in NL but runs on an Indian (or German ??) server.

Please, in the same wiki also give some assistance/explanation/examples  on how to include a sitemap (can i just copy/paste the XML??) and the metatags.

can I just add eg: 

< Meta Name=“Keywords” content=“vers honden voer, snacks voor hond, hondensnacks, allergie problemen bij de hond”

??? or some more "tricks are required.

thanks Robert

I experimented a bit:

Inserting the Meta tag in "start up code " is not working and also produces an error msg “missing operand”

I inserted the tag just in the text on the main page, and inspected the code, the tag is included.
Is this the way to do it??

and the xml site map>> also copy paste in main text body??

robert

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:42:15 PM UTC+2, robert wrote:
Hi, the github wiki on how to include Google Analystics and twitter etc is clear.

However, especially for SAAS users of ERPNext, Search Engine info is crucial. Dogs Love It resides in NL but runs on an Indian (or German ??) server.

Please, in the same wiki also give some assistance/explanation/examples  on how to include a sitemap (can i just copy/paste the XML??) and the metatags.

can I just add eg: 

< Meta Name=“Keywords” content=“vers honden voer, snacks voor hond, hondensnacks, allergie problemen bij de hond”

thanks Robert

Hi Robert,

For sitemap, you can go to yourdomain/sitemap.xml

It is autogenerated.

Thanks,
Anand.

Sent from my Xperia™ smartphone

robert <be…@gmail.com> wrote:

I experimented a bit:

Inserting the Meta tag in "start up code " is not working and also produces an error msg “missing operand”

I inserted the tag just in the text on the main page, and inspected the code, the tag is included.

robert

can I just add eg: 

thanks Robert

I have put “dogsloveit.erpnext.com” in google, yahoo, and bing and none of these search engines give a usefull return. Google relates to the forum list, the other two remain “void”

Indicating how crucial some SEO advice and/or functionality is.

rgds robert

can I just add eg: 

thanks Robert

The Startup Code is meant for Javascript, so HTML tags won't work.

Meta tags are deprecated and are no longer used by search engines.

On 24-Jul-2012, at 9:18 PM, robert wrote:

I experimented a bit:

Inserting the Meta tag in "start up code " is not working and also produces an error msg "missing operand"

robert

can I just add eg: 

< Meta Name="Keywords" content="vers honden voer, snacks voor hond, hondensnacks, allergie problemen bij de hond"

thanks Robert

Robert,

Search engines will not search for subdomains by default. You might want to link the site (once you are satisfied) to the main domain.

The website code generated via ERPNext is SEO friendly (we need it ourselves too!), be assured on that front.

General SEO tips are:

1. Choose great headlines (keywords, your users might be searching - like "best dog food" etc.). Headlines are the #1 factors for search engines.
2. Maintain a blog (blogs are also scraped once your site is in the Google index).
3. Broadcast via twitter (and unfortunately Google Plus).
4. Post, be active on online communities where your customers might be active, like online groups of dog owners etc and keep posting your blog there.

best,
Rushabh

On 24-Jul-2012, at 9:35 PM, robert wrote:

I have put "dogsloveit.erpnext.com" in google, yahoo, and bing and none of these search engines give a usefull return. Google relates to the forum list, the other two remain "void"

Indicating how crucial some SEO advice and/or functionality is.

rgds robert

can I just add eg: 

< Meta Name="Keywords" content="vers honden voer, snacks voor hond, hondensnacks, allergie problemen bij de hond"

thanks Robert

Hi Rusahb, I also thought that metatags were dead. A google on metatags put me on the wrong leg. Even now, major seo companies advertize with their “meta tag generators” etc.

Anyway, after your comment > “depreciated”, I again searched on metatags and there relevance. Seems to be a topic with a lot of variation in opinion, however the keywords metatag clearly is no longer used, however some others claim some relevance of other meta tags.

How to indicate the location of a website, apart from using Google  Places (we do that since we started dogsloveit and now Google+ (which i have not used yet)) . Until recently Google accepted the geosite XML where location info could be stored but abandon this recently. It seems that on can bind an KML file (the Google Earth/maps geographic coordinate file) still in an site XML, but it all remains unclear.

I guess that the Google folks are clever enough to use the info of a page called “contact” or similar, but it is a bit strange that it is no longer possible (at least i did not find out how) to explicitly indicate location. 
A bit strange since location based searches become ever more important.

rgds robert

can I just add eg: 

thanks Robert

Robert,

Hi Rusahb, I also thought that metatags were dead. A google on metatags put me on the wrong leg. Even now, major seo companies advertize with their "meta tag generators" etc.
Anyway, after your comment > "depreciated", I again searched on metatags and there relevance. Seems to be a topic with a lot of variation in opinion, however the keywords metatag clearly is no longer used, however some others claim some relevance of other meta tags.

What I meant by meta tags is the keywords and description tags. Without almost no SEO, ERPNext enjoys a relatively good ranking when you search for "online ERP" or "open source ERP".

The key is again to be communicative on forums and be a good online citizen :)

How to indicate the location of a website, apart from using Google  Places (we do that since we started dogsloveit and now Google+ (which i have not used yet)) . Until recently Google accepted the geosite XML where location info could be stored but abandon this recently. It seems that on can bind an KML file (the Google Earth/maps geographic coordinate file) still in an site XML, but it all remains unclear.

I guess that the Google folks are clever enough to use the info of a page called "contact" or similar, but it is a bit strange that it is no longer possible (at least i did not find out how) to explicitly indicate location. 
A bit strange since location based searches become ever more important.

Most services now maintain a database of IP addresses mapped to the region (city, country) called geoip database. There is a new location protocol in HTML5 that allows you to disclose your location to the website.

Maybe we can bundle GeoIP in erpnext so you could show pages based on location.... ah there is no end to this :))

rgds robert

can I just add eg: 

thanks Robert

Hi Rushabh,

Some how out of ERP scope, at the other hand all efforts to develop a public web part of ERPNEXT is waiste of Energy if not found by the major search engines.

I fully appreciate your statement of the “visibility” of ERPNEXT, crucial to your own business.

I do not expect built in SEO functionality, just the option to past in html and/or java would do i believe.

Googling the matter i found that the major operators (Google, Yahoo, MS,…) agreed on a format defined under schema.org.

???  Probably it would suffice to add such a scheme to the website ???

Great NEWS: Google finds us!!!

Login Page - ERPNext

dogs love It · Contact · Products. Login. Login Id. Password. Remember Me. Login. Forgot Password. Contact. © dogs love It.

I am really pleased to see this.

regards for now, robert

can I just add eg: 

thanks Robert

Robert,

On 26-Jul-2012, at 8:36 PM, robert wrote:

Hi Rushabh,

Some how out of ERP scope, at the other hand all efforts to develop a public web part of ERPNEXT is waiste of Energy if not found by the major search engines.

It is very visible to Google. You just have to link your site in a few forums or via your twitter, Google Plus and other pages. Google loves our site for the clean HTML we generate. All our blogs get good search rankings.

If you are really interested in SEO, you should sign up for Google Webmaster Tools and Google Analytics. Both are free and great services.

I fully appreciate your statement of the "visibility" of ERPNEXT, crucial to your own business.

I do not expect built in SEO functionality, just the option to past in html and/or java would do i believe.

Googling the matter i found that the major operators (Google, Yahoo, MS,....) agreed on a format defined under schema.org.

????  Probably it would suffice to add such a scheme to the website ??????

Great NEWS: Google finds us!!!

Login Page - ERPNext

dogs love It · Contact · Products. Login. Login Id. Password. Remember Me. Login. Forgot Password. Contact. © dogs love It.

I am really pleased to see this.

regards for now, robert

can I just add eg: 

thanks Robert