Unable to Access ERPNext on iPad's Mobile Safari (iOS 7)

Hello everyone, it seems that there is a problem accessing ERPNext (demo.erpnext.com) from iPad's Mobile Safari (iOS 7).  It stuck at the loading logo. It works when I tested in on Chrome (iPad with iOS 7) and Mobile Safari (iPhone with iOS 7). Does anyone else encounter this problem? Thanks.

Note:

If you are posting an issue,

1. We should be able to replicate it at our end. So please give us as much information as you can. Please see it from the point of view of the person receiving the communication.
  2. Paste your code at http://pastebin.com or http://gist.github.com and send only the URL via email
  3. For sending images, use http://imgur.com or other similar services. Do not send images as attachments. Links are good. Same goes for any file you are going to send.

End of Note

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext Developer Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-developer-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-developer-forum/05129401-9371-4bdf-bbbf-b04187f17564%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

We have just had the same problem with my partners iPad and iPhone.
The strange thing is that it works ok on my iPad and iPhone.

Using Safari on my partners iPad it hangs on the ERPNext logo. It works ok using Chrome on the same iPad.

We have checked for differences in the Safari settings between our iPads and can see nothing that is different.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

I’m having problems with this also. ANY SOLUTION?

Hi

It seems to switch browsers or hardware is not an option :wink:

If you can be specific about the nature of the problem, then folks are better able to help you.

It is on an older Ipad. Comes up in 3 different browsers safari google firefox and says browser incompatible. I am trying to make a portable access device to be able to take out in the warehouse and shop for data entry and stock checking.

If no compatible browsers can be found, and you can’t upgrade iOS to move to later browser releases, then unfortunately it seems you face Apple hardware obsolesensce…

We use the ASUS 10" tablet for this. We got several of them on our Verizon Wireless account and use them both in the warehouse and on the road as mobile sales terminals for the sales reps. Of course these are Andriod devices. We got the tablets for less than $200 each and they have been active in the field now for over 6 months without a single issue. We have 22 of them deployed along with 8 ASUS Windows 10 tablets. The android tablets perform the best. The only advantage to the Windows tablets is they allow us to connect POS hardware (cash drawer and receipt printer) directly to the tablet so we only use them as terminals in the retail stores.

I know that iOS users do not like to hear this, but it seems the newer Android devices are working much better for this than any of the Apple devices (even the new tablets). The ASUS tablet is Android ver.7 and we run Chrome browser because it seems to work much better with the HP Printer app that lets us print sales invoices right from the tablet to the printer wireless.

Back in November and December of 2017 I spent a bunch of time and $$ testing this on different platforms and settled on the two I listed above. Believe me, it was not an easy discussion to have with the client because they were almost entirely Apple iOS users already. However, when we tested it on all of their devices, it only partially worked on 2 out of 36 devices. When their employees tried it on their personal Andriod phones, it work on every single one. That tipped the scales for the client and they retired all of the iOS devices.

Hope this helps

BKM

4 Likes

Hello and thanks so much for sharing your experience and testing result tips BKM

So then to confirm, to access your ERPNext instance you connect over the web over mobile broadband data plan and not a wifi 802.11 connection?

Why I ask: A check on eBay finds Asus tablet reviewers complain that Android 7 drops wifi connections routinely.

That is correct!!! We force the ASUS tablets to use only Verizon Data plan because the amount of data on the connection is really quite small for running sales invoices.
The main reason for doing this is to keep the WiFi (8012.11x) connection open for the connection to the wireless printer.
This way ERPNext is talking to the server on broadband and the browser is talking to the printer over wifi and this can all work at the same time.

Believe me… we tried many different combinations and this is the one that worked best. We also have commercial barcode scanners (Motorola model LI4278) connected to the tablets with bluetooth, so all of the radios in the tablet are running at the same time and yet we get sometimes 3 days of use on the batteries before recharge. The Motorola scanners have the best “drop” rating. We have had some bounce all the way down a set of concrete stairs and still work, so we love them.

Hope this rounds out the info you needed. If not let me know.

BKM

Thank you for this BKM.

Here you say tests showed Android success for wan network printing - but since wan and not lan, the printer could not trip the cash drawer opening?
POS Card terminals and other HW - #4 by bkm

OTOH Windows does support both local printing that can open a cash drawer
Hardware integrations - #6 by bkm

Since Windows Surface tablets etc are $$ so you intended to test Chrome OS tablets as a cheaper option. Have you possibly results or a conclusion here?

It seems no interface software has been published or is public to connect a card reader to send credit card payment transaction details directly to ERPNext. For eg a card reader that uses NFC

But Raspberry Pi does work with PN532 or RC522 RFID Reader/Writer devices
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn-nuhAByRk

Maybe ESO can implement that too? Hardware Employee Time Tracking with RFID Chips - #6 by dominik

This was when trying to use Android tablet as a cash register. In almost all cash register applications the cash drawer is tied directly to the receipt printer with a thin cable that looks like a conventional telephone land line cable. When the printer prints a receipt it also sends a signal to the cash drawer to open. In EVERY case the ability to trigger the cash drawer is handled in the PRINT DRIVER as a configurable setting.

Android doesn’t know anything about print drivers, so the best that could be accomplished is to send raw text to a networked receipt printer, but without the additional data in the packet to trigger the case drawer, it never opens.

This is also correct because all receipt printers come with Windows drivers and in those special drivers are easily configurable setting for opening the cash drawer on print. I have not found any workable drivers that can open cash drawers for any OS other than Windows.

Also true! Chrome OS has the same problem as Android. There is no ability to use printer drivers unless the manufacture does some monumental effort to provide a Chrome OS app to handle their printers. HP did this for most of their business class printers in Chrome OS but none of the receipt printer manufactures have done this. So, no cash register ability in Chrome OS.

Also very true… This is why we went with the ASUS 10" Windows 10 tablets for cash registers. They were half the price of the MS Surface devices and had extra USB ports to work with. That allowed us to tie the receipt printer and cash drawer directly to the tablet with a USB cable and install the standard drivers that came with the printer.

So, in short, the Android tablets are great mobile terminals if you use the mobile broadband connection so the wifi stays free to talk to the HP wireless printer. The Windows tablets make great cash registers on a local wifi network. Both Android and Windows tablets also work nicely with the Motorola LI4278 barcode scanners connected. The Android tablets connect directly to the LI4278 by bluetooth and only use their cradles as charging stations. The Windows tablets have the LI4278 cradles connected by USB right to the tablet along with the receipt printer.

1.) Would it have been nice to have a “single” tablet solution for all of this??? Well, yes, but the reality is that the different operating systems limit what can be done.

2.) So why not use the Windows tablets for both applications??? It turns out that Windows 10 on a tablet doe NOT work so well when trying to also connect to a mobile hotspot, a printer, and a barcode scanner all at the same time. The limited processor resources in the tablet just cannot keep up and something always drops out (usually the printer). this would cause excessive time delays in completing a sales invoice.

3.) What makes you so sure the WIn10 tablets would fail as mobile terminals??? Well, I actually spent the money to buy them all and deploy them only to find them failing multiple times per day and interrupting the sales process. I collected ALL of them back from the field and re-purchased the Adnroid tablets from Verizon and re-deployed in less than 48 hours to stop the losses. It cost me a TON of $$$ to make that mistake, so I do not make these claims lightly.

Hope this clarifies things a bit more…

BKM

1 Like