Update and Upgrade

There has been multiple discussions on this topic as to how easy it is to upgrade or update ERPNext. not everyone is a developer. Just to prove here is an example and if I know the simple solution I’d document it and put it here GitHub - frappe/bench: CLI to manage Multi-tenant deployments for Frappe apps.
So I just installed ERPNext latest. Uploaded logo and setup a user.
ERPNext: v8.0.44 (master)
Frappe Framework: v8.0.64 (master)

As soon as I ran bench update I get the below error. I know there is nothing to update but if there was I’d still get the same error.

Cannot proceed with update: You have local changes in app "frappe" that are not committed.

Here are your choices:

1. Merge the frappe app manually with "git pull" / "git pull --rebase" and fix conflicts.
1. Temporarily remove your changes with "git stash" or discard them completely
        with "bench update --reset" or for individual repositries "git reset --hard"
2. If your changes are helpful for others, send in a pull request via GitHub and
        wait for them to be merged in the core.

Is there a simpler way to get passed this other than reset because there are no local changes? Clarrification on this would help a lot of people.

There is changes found in your frappe app. So, you have to remove it or commit it to update.
Check followinf thread,

1 Like

I know it’s saying changes found, but what is a change? When you install a fresh copy what changes can it possibly make?
–reset works and after that upgrade works as well but I’m not sure what --reset does.