Upgrade ERPNext V.9.1.15 to V13.16.0

Hi guys!
We use ERPNext 9.1.15 and with some customized documents and with rules. We haven’t upgrade it for a long time as it worked well for us.
Since a couple of weeks it stopped sending e-mail notifications.
I noticed there are a lot of useful updates to current version.
We use the VM for manufacturing. How should we proceed to upgrading it without loosing the customization and the rules implemented?

Hi @Ambiflux

Its quite difficult to upgrade to newer version if you have made the customizations directly in ERPNext. I don’t know much about this, but you can create a custom app with all the changes and customizations. Then when you update the latest version, you can install it. Its better to create the app on Frappe V13.

Also, it is better to take a backup of the system, do one upgrade at a time (refer below thread).
You may want to first create a clone of your system and proceed on it before upgrading on the actual production instance.

Thank you for the reply. Is it possible to install a fresh copy of V13 and just import the database from V9? Will that include all the settings for the company (footer, e-mails, rules)?

cd /data/wwwroot/frappe-bench

bench update

you can do bench update

In a good environment, the answer would be YES that you could do it that way.

However, my experience has been that it fails in many aspects. The main reason for this process to fail is that the published patches that take the system from one point release to the next and then to full release new versions is fatally flawed.

The process that loads the patches does not run sequentially. This means that over a long version jump you might find that it attempts to load and run patches for a version 11 release before it completes the patches for the version 10 releases.

For myself, in trying to get from v10 to v13 we found some v13 patches being executed even before the earlier v10 patches. There is no good control over this process in it’s native form.

To be clear, I had to pay an outside company to figure out the order of all the patches and write a special set of scripts to apply them in the right order. It is NOT a simple task. It was also NOT a task I was able to do myself.

If you have the ability to sort out the patches into their correct sequence, then you may be able to write your own script to perform the patches. If not, then you may have to look for an expert that you could contract to do it for you.

This is just a comment on my past experience, and as always,

Your mileage may vary! :sunglasses:

BKM

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.