V13 install broken - please help

Good day all

Trust you are all doing well.

My own servers are fine. But I am trying to install a V13 server for a friend. The procedure that I
have always used is now broken and it breaks at
sudo pip3 install -e /home//.bench

I have always used this procedure:

The error I am getting is
CB_ISSUER_CHECK = _lib.X509_V_FLAG_CB_ISSUER_CHECK

I have read the 3 posts on the forum related to this but it has not assisted me.
It seems to be pip3 that is broken because if I only envoke
pip3
I get the same error.

P.S. I got a similar error when I updated my own servers a month ago but I fixed it with
env/bin/pip3 install pyOpenSSL --upgrade ( got that from one of the forum-posts !!! )

I would really appreciate some help. Please.

Update:

I did another install and found the following:

When pip is installed with:
sudo apt install -y apt-transport-https build-essential curl mariadb-client python3-setuptools python3-dev python3-mysqldb libffi-dev python3-pip libcurl4 dnsmasq fontconfig git htop libcrypto+±dev libfreetype6-dev liblcms2-dev libldap2-dev libcups2-dev pv libjpeg8-dev libtiff5-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev libssl-dev libdate-manip-perl zlib1g-dev libsasl2-dev libwebp-dev libxext6 libxrender1 libxslt1-dev libxslt1.1 libffi-dev logwatch ntpdate postfix python3-dev python-tk screen vim xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base python3-testresources

I can actually run pip and get a version number:
pip --version ( it reports 20.0.2 )

But when I run the next install command it breaks pip…

sudo -H python3 -m pip install --upgrade setuptools cryptography psutil

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am panicing because I promised to help this guy. He does not
have any Linux experience and is relying on me.

I don’t really know the problem, but I see you’re using Debian or Ubuntu, and they typically distribute older versions of packages. That pip you have is three year old. For the speed Python develops these days, it’s an aeon.
Try:
Installing pyenv
using pyenv install python, whatever version is recommended;
install pip with ensurepip

If it was me, I would just use Docker to avoid any dependency problems.

Thank you @mattesilver for taking the time

I will study your suggestions.

I thinkyour suggestion about docker is perhaps the route to take. I did spend a bit of time on doker
last year but there were just to many things on my plate.

I will google to see if I can find a comprehensive doc on installing V13 ( and V14 ) for that matter, with
docker. If you do have a pointer to such docs it would be nice if you could share. You are right. It
would get rid of these depedancy problems

Thankk you again

Here is the github site for the frappe_docker project: GitHub - frappe/frappe_docker: Docker images for production and development setups of the Frappe framework and ERPNext
I would suggest starting with " Single Server Example"
Then maybe looking at " Setup Options" for some other methods.

For me, there was some adjustments to my way of thinking that were necessary going from VMs to Docker. My advice: take it slow, start out with a simple V14 instance to start with. See how things go. Don’t plan on keeping the first attempts. The strength of docker is in being able to quickly spin something up, use it for a bit, then destroy it. Then do it again a little differently with some desired changes. After a few go-arounds, you’ll have the basic ideas down and probably end up with something you can use.

Also, keep this in mind. I don’t think the docs ever got updated:

Thank you @trustedcomputer for the assistance.

I am going to start working through this. I am sure there are going to be many questions that I am
going to bug you and the rest of the community with, but I need to get this going. My servers are all
running so its not like I HAVE to do this … but would dearly like to tick this off on my to-do-list.
If that makes sense :blush:

I think I will ask any such questions under another topic as I suspect it would not be proper to digress
on this thread.

I appreciate you taking the time.

Try this Installation Guide v13 or Installation Guide v14

Thank you @HUMENTH

I had a quick look ( haven’t tried it yet) but it seems the dependencies are installed in a different way
than the install-method that I used. This may well work around the pip-break thing.

Thank you for taking the time. I want to look at the docker install though, but I think I will quickly
just run through this install too, just to see if my observation is correct.

Update …

I performed the install as you suggested @HUMENTH … a few hickups… (V13)

Step 17 I had an error which I fixed with
sudo apt install python3.8-venv

Rest of install went fine.

When I accessed the site via the registered URL, I got the heart-breaking …
Sorry !!! We will be back soon. … message.
Another symptom was that …
sudo supervisorctl status
returned nothing.

Fixed it after googling a post on thie forum:

So my test-site is up and running. Just busy going through all the modules to get a feel
if everything is working fine.

Would like to dive into the suggestion from @trustedcomputer i.e. Single Server Example.

The dos does not give an indication of the server … I assume Ubuntu 22.04 LTS wiil be fine?

I was able to get the single server method to work eventually.

It’s definitely not as straightforward as the old method.
For some reason you have to end the site with
.localhost now if you are doing it locally.

And access it from the front end as site.localhost

I haven’t tried yet to setup a DNS record.

And because the old modules area are now apps that are not apps there’s a few quirks to install them.
I still haven’t figured out how to make the images and compose them so all the sub apps are installed when composing them.

@willspenc Anything that you can run docker on will do- including 22.04 LTS.

@Mark_Johnson Yes, the payments app and HR app I think are the prime examples of old modules that are now apps in v14. But if I remember correctly, I think you can still install v14 without the payments app and it will work except for entering payments in accounting. So it would still be a good exercise to go through the motions and just realize that piece won’t work. To install payments along with it, you now need to build a custom image, follow the link on the frappe_docker github page for that “Custom Apps”. I am not sure what the future holds for that- I believe that right now, “Payments” is kind of in limbo where it is semi-separated as a dependency for ERPNext but not installed with it. I may be wrong, but I think I’ve read that the intention is to someday fully separate the doctypes in such a way that you won’t need the Payments app to record simple payments, but it will be needed for doing things with external payment processors like Paypal.

Thank you @trustedcomputer and @Mark_Johnson for taking the time and for your comments.

I tried again tonight but failed.

Your comments about what is availabel standard on V14 and what you have to install separately,
together with the fact that the Eduation module does not seem to be available standard
anymore on V14, is of concern to me. I have a 3-server multi-ttenant system … and one of them
is running Education-mode !!!

But my focus must be to help my friend. I shall take this up again in the morning.

@willspenc It sounds like doing v14 may be more trouble than it’s worth in your case due to some of the choices that have been made in separating the apps. If you change the ERPNext version at the top of your “.env” file to an appropriate v13 release (at whatever point you copy your example.env to the new .env file), this may be better for you. I myself am still using v13 as I also find some of the other v14 changes undesirable at the present time. I’m sure it will become more mature as time goes on.

Thank you for your comment @trustedcomputer .

I will look into that. For the moment though, it seems I have to put the docker-thing on ice. I thought
that , using a specific example such as ERPNext, I can let myself in to the world of
containers / docker. For that reason I opened another thread but, based on responses there, I was
unreasonable in my thoughts. I will first have to find another forum to get my experience up in
containers and then progress to ERPNext.

Thanks to you and everyone else that assisted with their comments.