Vagrant for frappe v6

Hi.
If any one wants to try frappe version 6 in production mode i update frappe wiki.
It is now even easier. If you already have vagrant installed then you just need to download my vagrantfile inside any directory, make erpnext folder and issue vagrant up.

Hey,
Good job!

Sorry for hijacking the post. I was thinking of combining the community efforts for Vagrant, Docker and the VMs (that we publish and lag behind).

Vagrant can use docker, so, if we come on with a standard “Dockerfile”, the “distribution” can be more standardized.

A more generic way would be to write an ansible playbook (with a few custom roles).

Please post your ideas too :smile:

\CC @dgrelin @rydersaint @dominik

Thanks @pdvyas.

I think vagrant and docker are two good ways to distribute software to non linux environments. In linux environment when in development they have a place too because we can try different configuration, test installation process and reinstall the application several times if needed.

We can also use both in production. This way we can standardized the distribution and installation process.

So both have advantages as disadvantages.

In my opinion vagrant is more easy to setup and configure and is also the best choice for development. But two distribute it is more heavy because we have, every time a new version come out, to distribute everything (nginx, supervisor, node etc.) even if only frappe change. Of course we can update the distribution with bench update but for some reason we can made a mistake or some error may happen.

I think xtuple use vagrant as distribution process.

With docker the distribution is more light. Because docker work with containers we have only to distribute frappe docker container every time some version change. As an example: we can make one container for frappe and supervisor and another for nginx, supervisor, node, etc. and another for mysql and supervisor in a separated container to persist the data as data volumes can be shared and reused among containers. I think to have mysql in a separated container can be advantages.

I think Vagrant and docker plugin is not the best choice for linux environment. But you can have a dockerfile and use it in linux with docker and use vagrant and docker with the same dockerfile in windows and macosx. But as i said this is for distribution. Because with docker is more difficult to share frappe-bench folder with the host machine.

On the other hand i thinks that the process must be automated or few people will use it.

@anand pushed a vagrant script a few days back: