What branch for pull requests?

I know there is plenty of PR questions in this group,
but probably because all this info are really fragmented over the years, I am a bit confused about the process to send the PR into the right place.

I also highlight that I am not a “senior” PR man :frowning:
I am just discovering the pleasure of contributing to this project actively.

I read guidelines on Frappe and ERPNext.
I got that Frappe and ERPNext following same “rules”, but what about bench?
What about bench guidelines? PR for fix/bug and features all sent to develop branch? @saurabh6790 @gavindsouza maybe you can light my way :innocent:

What I understood is that new features must be sent to develop branch. But what is happen in the process if these new features are JUST an improvement for version 11 or 12?
Because probably these features are built using version-11 or 12 branches and not develop one.

The last question (maybe a little ticklish subject) why many PR are out there for days without any reply from the dev team?
As a contributor should I open an issue related to the PR or write a post here to get that PR noticed?
I guess that the main dev team is super busy on a daily base, so, it’s not a complaint, it’s just a thought about what is the right path to follow for a "newbie"contributor.

Thanks to anyone that could clarify my doubts

for bench, we add new orchestration, process fixes, and features to the develop branch and make releases for them periodically, upon which develop gets merged to the v5.x branch. This was communicated in our last release notes.

What I understood is that new features must be sent to develop branch. But what is happen in the process if these new features are JUST an improvement for version 11 or 12?

bench is a CLI tool to manage your Frappe Deployments. The same bench version should be compatible with all the supported frappe versions (ideally all, since Frappe v4 support code is still a part of bench v5.x).

If any config is specific to a particular frappe version, it should be handled internally by bench by checking for the frappe version before using that particular config. You can check the bench codebase about how changing js package managers and process managers have been used throughout the evolving frappe versions.

The last question (maybe a little ticklish subject) why many PR are out there for days without any reply from the dev team?

short answer: lack of maintainers

I, myself have 3 open PRs on bench for over a month. In my spare time, I try to work on/review the bench PRs I’ve been working on since before, and gradually move to later PRs as I get the previous ones merged. If not today, your PR would definitely get reviewed in the coming week anyway.

As a contributor should I open an issue related to the PR or write a post here to get that PR noticed?

Issues are a good place to discuss ideas and new features or possible bugs. This time, you tagging me to the post worked (Your PR is now reviewed :stuck_out_tongue: ). But generally, we do get back to any open PRs at the earliest.

1 Like