Adding Assets to manufactured Item Instance

Hi,

We are in device manufacturing and need to add a couple of assets to a device while manufacturing. This assets behave quite similar to i.e. serial no.
but the assets are virtual and can come from a virtual pool. The particular use case will be:

A Device will be manufactured based on a BOM which contains:

* Raw Material Appliance (Board, CPU, Enclosure) This comes already with a serial number from the Appliance vendor which should be tracked for warranty
  against the Supplier.
* Raw Material CPU
* Raw Material Memory
* Raw Material HDD/Flash

This device is going to be manufactured/assembled and becomes a new manufactured Item with our name and item code. The instance of this
item needs to get serial number which needs to be selected or generated. ist there a way to control how such serial number could be generated
based on i.e: Prefix/Suffix/ or even by assigning an "Implementation.py" for the logic of generation? Once the Device is finished it needs to be on stock.
Would be great to generate the barcode/QR Code for the serial number as well. We think most of this part is already available in ERPnext.

Further to the BOM above and the serial number a device receives a number of further "virtual" assets per item instance. When manufacturing the
device we need to add a couple of infos and artifacts while flashing the software onto the device i.e:

* A device ID based SSL Certificate
* 6 MAC Addreses for the LAN Interfaces
* a Software License String
* a SSH Key
* a device Specific WiFi PSK key
* a unique machineID which is be generated at first boot by the device

All this informations must be stored in the Item Instance Database. The Source of this informations is mostly virtual and would be based
on i.e.

* a implementation calling the SSL CA an generates a new Certificate
* a pre filled pool of MAC addresses where I select a number from
* a implementation of the calculation of the ned 6 free MAC addresses
* a implementation of the generation of a unique License ID
* a implementation of a unique PSK Key
* a implementation of a Call to a other system gives me the MaschineID by SerialNumber

Do you have any best practice how to approach this with ERPnext "plugins" or implementations? Should we consider these virtual assets as Virtual BOM
where the "manufacturing" of the "virtual raw material" is just handled by the Software Implementations mentioned above and generated just in time. Or do
you suggest to mimic the serial number function with more informations? We think having all this assets tracked is a major requirement mostly for service
and warranty, tracking but not really for selling, serial Number is enough for this. We don't ask for integrated this in the core but for the right extension points
and strategy.

best Regards,
Holger

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Holger,

We are working on the extension part right now - this has become bottleneck now that there is a lot of customization demand on ERPNext. Infact we may have a release candidate later today. 

What the new version will allow you to do:

1. Create a new "app" - with its own tables (DocTypes) etc.
2. Write hooks on system wide events (schedulers, session creation, controller events etc) so you can do custom logic on top of the main logic.

For your specific use case, you might want to custom fields on Serial Nos that will contain your assets (keys, part Serial Nos etc). This seems to be the easiest solution right now.

best,
Rushabh

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:04:25 PM UTC+5:30, Holger Winkelmann wrote:
Hi,

We are in device manufacturing and need to add a couple of assets to a device while manufacturing. This assets behave quite similar to i.e. serial no.
but the assets are virtual and can come from a virtual pool. The particular use case will be:

* Raw Material Appliance (Board, CPU, Enclosure) This comes already with a serial number from the Appliance vendor which should be tracked for warranty
  against the Supplier.
* Raw Material CPU
* Raw Material Memory
* Raw Material HDD/Flash

This device is going to be manufactured/assembled and becomes a new manufactured Item with our name and item code. The instance of this
item needs to get serial number which needs to be selected or generated. ist there a way to control how such serial number could be generated
based on i.e: Prefix/Suffix/ or even by assigning an "Implementation.py" for the logic of generation? Once the Device is finished it needs to be on stock.
Would be great to generate the barcode/QR Code for the serial number as well. We think most of this part is already available in ERPnext.

Further to the BOM above and the serial number a device receives a number of further "virtual" assets per item instance. When manufacturing the
device we need to add a couple of infos and artifacts while flashing the software onto the device i.e:

* a SSH Key

All this informations must be stored in the Item Instance Database. The Source of this informations is mostly virtual and would be based
on i.e.

* a implementation of a Call to a other system gives me the MaschineID by SerialNumber

Do you have any best practice how to approach this with ERPnext "plugins" or implementations? Should we consider these virtual assets as Virtual BOM
where the "manufacturing" of the "virtual raw material" is just handled by the Software Implementations mentioned above and generated just in time. Or do
you suggest to mimic the serial number function with more informations? We think having all this assets tracked is a major requirement mostly for service
and warranty, tracking but not really for selling, serial Number is enough for this. We don't ask for integrated this in the core but for the right extension points
and strategy.

best Regards,
Holger

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

HI,

On Monday, 16 December 2013 09:46:53 UTC+1, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Holger,

We are working on the extension part right now - this has become bottleneck now that there is a lot of customization demand on ERPNext. Infact we may have a release candidate later today.

Is there any sign of live for the RC? 

What the new version will allow you to do:

1. Create a new "app" - with its own tables (DocTypes) etc.
2. Write hooks on system wide events (schedulers, session creation, controller events etc) so you can do custom logic on top of the main logic.

For your specific use case, you might want to custom fields on Serial Nos that will contain your assets (keys, part Serial Nos etc). This seems to be the easiest solution right now.

I think the best fit as well to not overload the serial number functionality.

best,
Rushabh

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:04:25 PM UTC+5:30, Holger Winkelmann wrote:
Hi,

against the Supplier.
* Raw Material CPU
* Raw Material Memory
* Raw Material HDD/Flash

* a SSH Key

on i.e.

and strategy.

best Regards,
Holger

@hwinkel

Where you able to solve your requirement in the meantime? Should be possible…