An alternative installer for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Several weeks ago I posted about some installer scripts I’d completed:

This week I returned to them and dealt with a few issues reported by some people who tried them out for me. I think they are more solid and understandable now.

Please feel free to give them a try and criticize anything you don’t like.

Original (locked???) post: An alternative installer for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

The source code: Install ERPNext on Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 LTS and Focal 20.04 LTS · GitHub

Update: 2020/06/29 Pandas version bug!

Running my scripts on 20.04 LTS will fail due to a bug in a new version of Python module “Pandas”.

There is a fix : Bench installation of erpnext fails on pandas setup if numpy>=1.19.0 · Issue #22424 · frappe/erpnext · GitHub

1 Like

Any post will get locked after 14 days if there are no replies.

This topic will close 14 days after the last reply.

Yes I saw that.

My reason for the multiple question marks is not whether the policy is there, but about why the policy is there.

I think it is unnecessary, unnecessarily heavy handed and very counterproductive.

Cui bono?

1 Like

@revant_one
@MartinHBramwell

Hmm… This appears to be a new wrinkle in the forum use. Closing a topic 14 days after the last reply means that some very good existing [Tutorial] and [How to] topics will no longer benefit from the additions that new users add to the topic after it has been in the wild for a short time.

In the past, this has been the way such beneficial topics have continued to aid new comers to the platform even years after their original publication.

Maybe the decision was made to limit the size of the forum data, or maybe some other “good” reason, but I have to agree that it does appear to be a bit heavy-handed and may serve to discourage contributors from continuing to invest time in creating such good works as the tutorials and other how-to documents here.

I would hope the reason for this change is not… nefarious, but without a good explanation of why it was done it leaves much doubt in contributors minds.

BKM

1 Like

I am grateful for your support on this point. Thanks.

I frequently see comments added to topics that are months old. If the 2 weeks only policy is automated as it claims, then it should be being applied across the board – but it isn’t! Why?

@MartinHBramwell More so if a similar issue crops up after a few months it makes no sense opening a new thread if an existing thread can be continued for the same issue as i have seen in the past where a 2 year old thread was reactivated because a similar issue re-surfaced. The forum engine itself suggests that you revisit a similar thread before opening a new one if it finds you’re trying to revisit a previously discussed issue. So closing a thread after just 14 days will lead to multiple discussion threads for similar issues, making it harder to locate a thread that contains the solutions to the same problem.

IMHO this policy wasn’t well thought out and i recommend it is revisited.

2 Likes

@MartinHBramwell
@flexy2ky

After poking around a bit more…

It appears that a low level moderator has the ability to remove the timer from a thread. A link appears to them in the form of a small trash can that allows the timer to be turned off.

If you have a thread that you wish to continue working on you can request that one of them do that for you I believe.

BKM

I re-opened the old topic.

That or opening closed topics seems to be an option.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I agree that it is usually better to continue a topic discussion if the new information is still relevant. It save time for other that want to search the information later.

BKM

The thing I am curious about – who benefits from closing topics?
What is the value to them?
Why does their benefit have priority over the value to the rest of us who want to interact with others who have already been looking at an issue we might be having?

1 Like

I was facing too many issues with the 3rd party apps with ubuntu but later installed older version and its fixed. I also tried CentOS and Kali. If you want more Ubuntu alternatives then check this list.