An employee cannot see other employees in the company when adding employees as paticipants to events

I’ve been using ERPNext for quite a long time and this is still the issue that I’ve been trying to solve and I could find the solution to make it work.

This is the situation, there is one user, I would name him “Bob”. Bob is not an HR manager, he is project manager. One of his many job is to organise an event such as meetings and other events, and his tool is using Event app in the ERP(/app/event) to do so. He has no problem adding contacts, customers, suppliers however, when he needs to add an “Employee” to the event the problem occurs. He cannot see other employees that he wanted to add.

I’ve been doing some research and found this topic that is interesting link. In the topic the person had the same issue as we currently have, but in the different situation. Luckily, the person was HR Manager so he had the right to see all of the other employees’ information, which is different to Bob. I did apply the solution from that topic(deleting the User Permissions) and the result was Bob can see all other employees’ information including personal information, payroll, leaves which he is not suppose to see.

So, my question is, how can I solve this problem, as he should be able to list all the employees and shouldn’t see all of their information?

Thank you.

Let’s say Bob has the role of Project Manager. You want Bob to be able to choose Employees without actually seeing all their records.

Go to Role Permission Manager.
Under Document Type, select Employee
Under Role, select Projects Manager.

Click on Add A New Rule

Click Add

Choose only the Select Permission

@kevingee Thank you for your answer.

However, because of this User Permissions, he wouldn’t be able to list/select other employees. He will only see himself when trying to list others.

I’m not sure if this is a design flaw of the system, or I’m missing something.

Thank you.

@jpb In my case, I was facing this issue in the Meeting form (which is similar to Event). A workaround I did is to go to the Customize page of the child table that contains the employee field, open the Employee field and check the box where it says “Ignore User Permissions”. This enabled the employees to choose other employees without the permission to view the employee profiles.

1 Like

You will have to remove this user permission if you want to list all the employee in a dropdown. Remove this user permission will not make the user see employee records

@kevingee Then again, Bob will see all that he cannot see, since he is not an HR manager and he will have access to all employees info.

This is a great workaround, that works for me.

Thank you, this really saves me day.

1 Like