Asset Management Questions

I am looking into how assets are tracked and have some questions. This is related to latest 7.2.x code base. Right now I certainly like the auto-depreciation setup of the base asset doctype. However there are other use cases related to assets that I have some questions on.

1. How to assign an asset to a person/department to track who uses/owns it (like a laptop/desktop)?

This is simply for assets and things that the company employees use like laptops, monitors, desks, cabinets, etc that are then assigned to people or departments for regular use. What is the best way to do this? Is there any document type(s) that can be used to track movement from one place/person to another? (plug for barcode scanner feature!)

1. Asset Tag ID?

I don’t see an asset tag field where we could put the number from our tags. I can create one easily enough, just wasn’t sure if there was another field I was missing that this is for.

1. How to bundle assets together into a group and then rent them to a third party (e.g. a customer) that will have the assets at some location that we need to keep track of. Integrate somehow with “selling” module or just use a recurring payment request? Is there a way to track a lease contract?

This is the biggest question here really. One thing we do is rent packages of equipment to people. Need some guidance on how best to set that up in ERPNext.

Thanks

How to assign an asset to a person/department to track who uses/owns it (like a laptop/desktop)?
This is simply for assets and things that the company employees use like laptops, monitors, desks, cabinets, etc that are then assigned to people or departments for regular use. What is the best way to do this? Is there any document type(s) that can be used to track movement from one place/person to another? (plug for barcode scanner feature!)

This feature is not available out of the box. Alternatives on how you could customize it.

1. Insert Employee field in Asset master.
  2. Or create another Warehouse for Employees (separate or common) and create Material Transfer entry for Asset.

Asset Tag ID?
I don’t see an asset tag field where we could put the number from our tags. I can create one easily enough, just wasn’t sure if there was another field I was missing that this is for.

You can use Asset ID field itself, or create a custom field.

How to bundle assets together into a group and then rent them to a third party (e.g. a customer) that will have the assets at some location that we need to keep track of. Integrate somehow with “selling” module or just use a recurring payment request? Is there a way to track a lease contract?

Renting is actually services. You should create Sales Transaction for the service item, and update Asset ID there. For you log, you can create another Rental Warehouse and transfer Asset into that Warehouse.

1 Like

Thanks @umair for this information.

So creating a linked employee field in asset master seems easy enough to at least track who the asset has been assigned to and then creating a warehouse record to document the “location” that the asset is located at also makes sense.

I like just using the Asset Tag ID as the “name” instead of using a custom field. Then they just sort by number in the list and since we know the item in the item db that the asset represents, this also makes sense.

What about if an asset has a serial number? Would it make sense to create serial number records associated to the item? Would I then create a link field to the serial number document to the asset master for tracking?

Are there any financial records created in accounts when we do a material transfer when we move an asset from one person to another? I don’t need any of that, just want to track the history of movement.

I need to think more about your note on what to do for rental. I’ll reply in a different post.

1 Like

Hi @umair

Trust you’re doing great. Could you please give some insight into whether or not there is any link between Serial Numbers and Assets currently? The documentation for Serial Numbers says they are useful in tracking Assets but once you select the ‘Is Fixed Asset’ field in the Item master, the ‘Serial Nos and Batches’ section disappears!

Basically, how are we expected to manage Assets with Serial Nos?

Thanks

Kind regards,

This is v11 feature planned to be merged. In v10, serialized tracking is possible only for Inventory item, but that is being enhanced to all the Items in v11.

I guess, the proactive team might have updated document you read :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @FinForce

Thanks a lot for the clarification

Cheers!

Find any solution?

I have found a semi work around for this. Check it out here: https://handbuch.tueit.de/books/erpnext-benutzerhandbuch/page/vermogenswerte-mit-seriennummern

If a google-translation won’t work to make it understandable send me a message