[Aug 2018] Install Bench Install bench as a non root user, failing

for easy install it says bench will install prerequisites, I have tried on a fresh server, updated.
but after a very slow process it fails. why does this happen and how can i get it done,? manual installs or anything never works for me. i have tried about 10 times after formatting and different instructions from the net over the last 3 days.
I am a completely new user to linux and ubuntu, i am using 18.04 ubuntu.
this is the error i got from the standard setup from the main github site.
------->

testserver@testserver-G41D3:~$ git clone https://github.com/frappe/bench bench-repo
Cloning into 'bench-repo'...
remote: Counting objects: 5941, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (31/31), done.
error: RPC failed; curl 56 GnuTLS recv error (-54): Error in the pull function.
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed
testserver@testserver-G41D3:~$ git clone https://github.com/frappe/bench bench-repo
Cloning into 'bench-repo'...
remote: Counting objects: 5941, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (31/31), done.
^Cceiving objects:  30% (1838/5941), 556.01 KiB | 7.00 KiB/s     
testserver@testserver-G41D3:~$

Could you please provide some more details? Your snippet shows an error on a manual git clone, maybe a connection issue or no sufficient space on your local disk? On a clean system, what error do you get on
$ sudo python install.py --production?

Just a suggestion, which may not solve the direct problem, but will get you up and running…
You could try downloading the VM from http://build.erpnext.com/ERPNext-Production.ova to get you started, and then once you are more familiar with the system, you could do a dedicated installation or get a cloud account

thanks for the reply,
I i had used the 1st command on the site given for “easy install”
the snippet is all that was on screen, nothing else was there, as i simply used that command only and another 1 more time. I did notice the very slow speed the connection worked at compared to every thing else I had tried,
now i dont understand your question on another error. sorry.
do you have any suggestions on commands or links with guides that might help a very new user to get to it.

oh and regarding the machine. its a core 2 quad, with 2gb ram, and a 200+ gb hard. just a machine i built with stuff lying around.

thanks, I have come across the VM and some forums have said that it may not be as secure, and it gives access to the server to the whole web, is it really insecure? i am looking to use and erp and a cloud on my own physical server at home, for a small business I am starting and having to coordinate from different countries with different people.
of course i have checked on services provided, and there are services who could also help set it up for me for a fee, but i wanted to use this also as an opportunity to get back into I T and learn a little basics of getting things started. I do not have the time to get to a class and learn either.
I think I will test out the VM as You said too when i get back from traveling.