Bank Transaction Reconciliation Question - Version 13

Context: I currently do all my accounts in Quickbooks Online because it has seamless bank synchronisation and more importantly I can reconcile my bank account entries to invoices or expenses/bills from the bank transaction list. I don’t have to make a separate, manual payment entry for any transaction or open another form, browser tab or link to do so. I would rather use ERPNext for all my business management including the accounts. However, I cannot work out how my imported bank transactions relate to outstanding invoices.

After importing my bank transactions and having to open every transaction manually there is a section in the bank transaction form as below:

This above section of the bank transaction does not seem to create a payment entry for the outstanding invoice. When I look at the invoice in question it is still outstanding.

Q1: What does that section of the bank transaction form actually do?
Q2: I hesitate to even ask this question; do I have to manually add a payment entry for every invoice that I have already imported a bank transaction and reconciled?
Q3. This follows from Q2 and it is; do I have to actually manually make a payment entry of type “receive” before I can reconcile a simple expense without an account with the supplier? (I have no accounts with suppliers and I don’t write purchase orders, I just talk to my suppliers and pay by debit card or cash.)

The documentation for version 13 is not available and I’m most likely missing something really obvious.

Some further info …

I have just read the latest ERPNext blog regarding Bank Reconciliation and have to ask where does the following screen appear in ERPNext 13?

The bank reconciliation tool screen on my install looks like the following even after importing a bank statement successfully.

Any ideas appreciated?

enter the opening and closing amount, upload the statement and click save.

1 Like

Thanks Snogha.

What I found was that for the items to come up in the list in the Bank Reconciliation Tool we have to have the amount of the bank transaction “unallocated” in the Bank Transaction Item. The bank transaction will then have a status of “unreconciled” after saving and submitting.

To achieve this we need to do more work that erpnext could actually do by default which is to fill in the “unallocated” field in the bank transaction item. Steps are:

• Open the bank transaction item;
  • Scroll down to the field ‘Unallocated Amount’;
  • Enter the transaction amount as a positive number whether it is a Deposit or Withdrawal;
  • Save and Submit the tranaction;

You have to do this with every bank transaction item. Good luck keeping your admin wages down with this system! Is this a bug that I should report on Github?

What I seem to have done wrong is I had added what I will call the pseudo “Payment Entry” into the bank transaction item. This “allocated” the amount and therefor it is not available to be allocated in the Bank Reconciliation Tool.

However, one of my issues stands which is: What does adding the payment entry into the bank transaction item actually do? It does not create a payment entry against the associated invoice/expense.

Hi

Unallocated amount should be filled automatically. Thanks for reporting. When you upload a bank statement the unallocated amount is automatically made equal to the transaction amount and the allocated amount is made 0. Can you please tell what steps did you take to add this bank transaction which resulted in wrong allocated/ unallocated amount? It will help solve the issue.

You can go to the bank reconciliation tool and then find the bank transaction that you want to add into Erpnext. You can either create a new payment entry or match the bank transaction to an existing payment entry

When you either match or add a payment entry into the bank transaction it updates the clearance date in the corresponding payment entry.

Hi @Mohammad_Hasnain, query, were you able to make a complete process with the new Reconciliation tool?

I could not make a complete process, there is no way to cache the vouchers, among several errors both to create the vouchers and in the import process (it is only working with .xls .csv, with sheet gives a template error that is impossible).

There is not much documentation other than the presentation blog article.

I don’t see many people consulting either, I think it’s because the tool is hidden (they didn’t put it in a default workspace, and I want to believe it’s because it’s not polished).

Hey,

Yes I was able to do it

I think there are errors that are raised when creating vouchers that come from the actual voucher validation, can you share the ones that you’re facing here? They could be fixed by someone

So caching at the time of adding and matching? Can you please elaborate on this

This should be fixed here - PR

Does anyone know if the issue of reconciling internal transfers has been addressed? I can reconcile in one account (PayPal) but can’t use the same payment entry to reconcile on the flip side (Bank).

Hi,
Sorry this is still not working with the latest release 13.21.0. I just followed the now outdated help page doc again.

1. Open and enter all the info on the bank reconciliation tool;
  2. Click “Upload Bank Statement”;
  3. Check the details and save the “New Bank Statement Import”;
  4. Download the template csv file and fill in with my transactions then attach;
  5. Check the imported data and then press import;
  6. Click “Go to Bank Transaction List” and check the transaction;
  7. They are all still unallocated.
  8. Go back to Bank Reconciliation Tool to see there are still no entries.

No errors in the browser console.

The unallocated amount does not get filled in when I import a statement using the template csv file from the import tool.

What are you doing that makes it work?

Good day all

Trust you all doing well.

I see this thread is a year old, but I am battling with the same issues. I do not see reference to a solution.

I m using V13.24

I have created a Bank and Bank Account.
I have imported my CSV bank statement.
I have reconsiled my Bank Transactions and it indicates “Reconciled”.
( It was a payent for a Sales invoice )

But the sales invoice still indicates “Unpaid”
I cannot see any payment entries that are not allocated.

On the back-end I can actually see the payment in the Bank Transaction Payment table.

I shall be grateful if someone can assist me to complete this.

Does anyone know where can we view if the payment entry or the journal entry was already linked on a bank reconciliation by just looking at the transaction itself?

Addition with this, is there a report to also view payment entry or the journal entry that is not yet processed on a bank reconciliation?

Hello @ponyooooo the only place I have been able to see this is when I go to Bank Transaction List it will show whether the Bank Transaction is reconciled or unreconciled.

I have not been able to find and Lists or Reports that show all the Payment Entries and whether each one has been linked to (reconciled) to a Bank Transaction.

The reason the invoice shows as unpaid, is because you never created a payment. An invoice, by default, is a bill that is not paid yet.

You can mark the invoice as paid while you are creating the invoice by checking “Include Payment POS” You will need to create a POS Profile and create a mode of payment and link it to the correct bank account.

Then, when you create an invoice just mark it as paid, and it will create the payment entries all in one swoop.