Best VPS for hosting ERPnext

I have been using Prometeus for close on 10 years.

I have never found anyone able to beat them on price or service quality.

Example 1- Mixed SSD/HDD [ €15 / month OR €150 / year ]

* CPU - 4 core, 2Ghz
* RAM - 4GB
* SSD - 100GB
* HDD - 1000GB

Example 2 - Apache CloudStack KVM/Xen VMs [ € 0.020 / Hr ]

* CPU - 4 core, 2Ghz
* RAM - 4GB
* HDD - 10GB

Extra storage €0.0001  / GB / hour

We will soon have an alternative that will change this view :wink:

Umm… that was cryptic. Care to elaborate?

BKM

Stay tuned!

Yesterday, and this morning, for the first time, I have encountered worrying problems with Prometeus.

But then they’re based in Milan !! and the problems were not with Prometeus per se, but with the network through Milan that gets me access to my servers.

If anyone has an idea why I’d be glad to hear it :wink:

1 Like

Oops​:cry::ok_man:t2::sweat_smile:

we use digital ocean and its great!

@bkm maybe you would be interested. FYI. I have no connection with Contabo. Just passing on the information

https://blog.contabo.com/company/contabo-introduces-new-data-center-location-in-the-united-states/

1 Like

Hi. Were you referring to Frappe Cloud? If yes, the rate of $25 per month is pretty confusing as it gives the user only One Hour per day to use. Any average company will have atleast 10 users who will be logged in the system for 8 hours every day. So my question is, what are we getting in $25?

It is a bit confusing. Here is my understanding:

• $25/mo gets you 2 hours of CPU timed billed in 1 second increments per day.
  • Days with zero usage are not billed.

Use case: (ALL Times are totally wild guesses)

• Light Day: Do regular business stuff like login (CPU=2 sec), update Project statuses (CPU=8 sec), run P&L (4 sec), enter 100 Payables (200 sec), answer 20 customer queries (50 sec) Total is probably less than 15 minutes for the whole day. 8 hours of human time, but only a few minutes of CPU time.

But running intensive reports, doing large imports, exports, or deletions, operating a web site with multiple visitors going to lots of pages and it starts to add up.

It doesn’t help that many of the reports are poorly coded and have many loops through the code that are not really needed. I have recently paid to have several of those reports cleaned up so they run faster for some of my clients.

When you start factoring some of that wasted CPU time into the billing equation it doesn’t necessarily look good for that kind of business model.

BKM

So you think a fixed monthly per user pricing plan will still be better, plus easier to measure and understand?

And btw, could you be kind enough to highlight those reports which you got improved and optimized? Perhaps the community could benefit from your experience.

1 Like

@cablemedia @bkm @MichaelPinkowski Maybe this will help.

1 Like

This is a superb explanation. You may have convinced me to drop self-hosting. :blush:

However, I have secondary doubts:

Self hosting is better if you have good technical know-how.
in my case, I have tried and succeed, but not in long run. You need to make additional effort to maintain those servers. Those are very painful area.

So I then turn in to google, AWS and so on with high price and low cores and low RAM.

Then I found a solution and it is working like a charm.

I am using some cheap VPS since 2 years now.

It is working perfect without any down time so far.

I highly recommend this and it is cheap also.

OR

You can try frappe cloud
It is a brand new service by frappe and worth to tryout.

2 Likes

By the way, we are not fans of wasted resources, because we have to buy infrastructure from some providers just like everyone else here.

Speaking of perverse incentives, can you try sharing your enhancements? It probably won’t cost you anything.

Wow, sarcasm does not look good on you.

Yeah, I understand that it might be nice to share, but they would NOT likely do you or anyone else much good since all I have left in my client base are v10 and v11 users. Also the fact that I cannot contractually share code I have developed for some of my clients with anyone else because they want the advantage of making use of their investment in code correction before it is released to the public (because we charge them when they want code work done).

The purpose of my post was to point out that folks wanting to gain performance advantages can do so for little investment in code rework one time versus over paying for additional resources forever to the hosting provider.

You just sound angry. Sorry for your performance issues, but my original premise still stands. You can spend a little now with a good report coder and save in the long run on hosting if you run extensive reports a lot during your use of the system.

BKM

I’ve started dabbling with Linode recently. No problems so far.

1 Like

DigitalOcean is the way to go. Priced right and extremely well managed and reliable.

1 Like

can we use our own domain after signup the sub-domain?