Broken purchase chain

Hi ,
I have a few “broken purchase chains”, that is: i do have PO,GRN,Bill, and JV for a certain purchase, but they are not (all) linked, say PO and GRN are linked, and Bill and JV also but GRN and BILL not.
How do I repair the “missing link”
rgds robert

Hi Robert,

To link Bill with PO and GRN, you should try the following:
    1. Amend the Bill (To amend you should cancel JV against it)
    2. Pull items from GRN
    3. Submit the Bill.

Currently, there is no external tool to link those documents.

Regards,
Nabin Hait

On Monday, December 31, 2012 11:48:52 AM UTC+5:30, robert wrote:

Hi ,
I have a few “broken purchase chains”, that is: i do have PO,GRN,Bill, and JV for a certain purchase, but they are not (all) linked, say PO and GRN are linked, and Bill and JV also but GRN and BILL not.
rgds robert

Hi Nabin,
There has been a lot of improvements on managing links in sales/purchase chains the last 12 months, but repairing “errors” remains a complex process.
Feel you should make a tool to quickly analyses, and allow repair of linked docs.

robert

On Monday, December 31, 2012 7:18:52 AM UTC+1, robert wrote:

Hi ,
rgds robert

Robert,

The issue is that all the links are also "posted" to the ledger tables and the best way to make sure that nothing breaks and data integrity is maintained is to cancel and amend them.

If its too much work, I would recommend that you start updating them from now on and let the older data be as it is. But it might show up in pending reports, maybe we should have a system of manually "Closing" them.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 31-Dec-2012, at 1:05 PM, robert <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Nabin,
There has been a lot of improvements on managing links in sales/purchase chains the last 12 months, but repairing "errors" remains a complex process.
Feel you should make a tool to quickly analyses, and allow repair of linked docs.

robert

Hi ,
I have a few "broken purchase chains", that is: i do have PO,GRN,Bill, and JV for a certain purchase, but they are not (all) linked, say PO and GRN are linked, and Bill and JV also but GRN and BILL not.
How do I repair the "missing link"
rgds robert

Hi Rushabh,

I have, i believe, discovered the origin/cause of the broken links. If one want to change something in a doc one has to backwards cancel the chain, starting with the JV, than the bill and so on.
Say I have typed a wrong Posting date in the Bill0100, than i can repair, after having cancelled the linked JV120.
Now, the opposite process is not well explained in the manual. What is did so far is that i than would re-save JV120, causing the non-linked docs.

The correct process, I believe, is to create a new JV121, from the amended Bill100-1. Is this true???

Since I always do a lot of back-entry, 95% of the errors I make are a wrong (posting) date. An option like “link forward to original linked docs” would be appreciated.

regards Robert

Hi ,
rgds robert

Robert,

I am trying to think of a way to get this done, but to assume why the amendment has taken place (date in your case) is very ambiguous - The best way is to re-select all the new amended docs and re-submit the entire chain.

I know it is very painful, but posting date is really key to the sequences in the General Ledger and just updating it won't work - there are also validations that could be affected (like say negative stock or credit limit or it might affect the tax liability on a particular day or it might change some tax returns submitted to the government). There is just too much dependency in the system.

I think the best way is to ensure that back dated entries are done on the correct date the first time - I think legally too it is prudent :) -- If you have any suggestion how we can help you avoid those mistakes please let me know.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 02-Jan-2013, at 1:22 PM, robert <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Rushabh,

I have, i believe, discovered the origin/cause of the broken links. If one want to change something in a doc one has to backwards cancel the chain, starting with the JV, than the bill and so on.
Say I have typed a wrong Posting date in the Bill0100, than i can repair, after having cancelled the linked JV120.
Now, the opposite process is not well explained in the manual. What is did so far is that i than would re-save JV120, causing the non-linked docs.

The correct process, I believe, is to create a new JV121, from the amended Bill100-1. Is this true????

Since I always do a lot of back-entry, 95% of the errors I make are a wrong (posting) date. An option like "link forward to original linked docs" would be appreciated.

regards Robert

Hi ,
I have a few "broken purchase chains", that is: i do have PO,GRN,Bill, and JV for a certain purchase, but they are not (all) linked, say PO and GRN are linked, and Bill and JV also but GRN and BILL not.
How do I repair the "missing link"
rgds robert