Choosing ERPNext

Hello all,

I am a volunteer for a non-profit organization to develop an ERP solution in 4 different centers on Europe. The managers need some answers to give to give the board members confidence to adopt this platform. Technically i find it a very good product and it is amazing that it is open source, but they are not technical people, they are managers and need numbers. It would be very good to get some info about support, known customers that adopted the platform, estimation of number of implemented solutions. Possible / average cost of maintenance of solution in case the lead developer dies ( this would be me :smile: ), and some other possible info / links to show & advertise the dynamic of the platform.

Thank you all in advance.

2 Likes

@WhiteKarma welcome to the forum

Other community members will shed more light on the cost, customizations, etc.

You might find these discussions beneficial:

3 Likes

@WhiteKarma Glad you chose ERPNext for your team.

ERPNext is absolutely easy to use application, customizable, expandable as per your needs. It’s mainly designed to be used be by non technical and others as well. For your team who look at earning numbers, it will serve best to follow leads, convert them to opportunity, email follow up, tracking sales funnel, etc. There is lot to go as you explore it. Moreover, ERPNext app will also help the team to stay in sink with their work.

Also there is developer training tutorial that’s posted online, so in case lead developer is gone ( considering lost :blush: ) you can easily have someone work over the system anytime.

You can easily go through the work flow with our help content given below:

Videos: http://frappe.github.io/erpnext/user/videos/learn/
User Manual: http://frappe.github.io/erpnext/user/manual/en/
Developer Training: Session 1: Creating an App - YouTube

Thank you very much for your valuable replies, it will certainly make the decisions easier.

@WhiteKarma

Thanks for your understanding. Glad you want to go ahead thinking about ERPNext. Please do let us know in case need further support. :blush:

It is a good ERP but here are some of the drawbacks which i am facing, hope to see these get solved:

1. No fixed asset module, hence no depreciation
  2. Amount received from customer will have to be settled against invoices. i.e. if you have a client having 2000 transactions a month with him, and he then pays you after one month a partial of the total amount, you have to manually select the invoice to mark them paid (too much headache) same applies for purchase invoice. (i.e. it does not an account based structure for customer and supplier but invoice based)
  3. sales commission is based on amount invoiced rather it should be on amount collected (bad debts can occur and you will have to even pay commission for those as per the system)
  4. Buying a fixed asset with perpetual inventory system enabled, it has a confusing workaround, hence i always disable perpetual inventory accounting when recording a fixed asset.
  5. Workflow is only based on designations and not amounts. i.e. for example even if the user has to make a purchase of $1, it will go through all the approval procedure. in most companies they have set a threshold like any amount of more than $10 will only be required to go through the workflow, anything lower than that can be approved by the Supervisor.
  6. I cant seem to find any option to request a quotation for my items from the system, i think it has a workaround (btw this ERP has many workarounds for many different problems).
  7. The supplier and customer even if they are the same are treated as 2 different personnel and will show their balances separately and will not net them off i.e. if you purchase and sell the difference is not there, you have to manually keep a track of it (as mentioned above, does not treat as an account)

Apart from this the ERP is still growing and progressing and by time i hope these inherent issues will get fixed. Rest its a pretty good ERP

1 Like

Hi @wajahatid
Agree on all of it except for 7.
When supplier is also customer it is customary (accounting wise) to treat them as separate.

1 Like

I see a strong case for enumerated issues, especially 2, 5 and 6.

These are really common use cases, and fixing them would make life easier for most users/implementers.

Hi @wajahatid

Thanks for raising these points. You are right on all counts as per your scenario.

point 2 - You can use payment reconciliation tool to do this quickly. Right now matching payments against invoices is the only way to mark an invoice as Paid.

point 6 - We are going to start working on Request for Quotation.

The rest are still up for grabs if anyone in the community wants to contribute.

Best,
Anand.

2 Likes

Checkout Payment Tool if it helps: https://frappe.github.io/erpnext/user/manual/en/accounts/tools/payment-tool.html

i do agree, i meant for netting off purpose

@anand and @revant_one

in the payment tool are the invoices that are fetched by the system those that have passed the credit days mentioned for that customer or it will fetch all of them till the amount paid is satisfied?

and further @anand, a person has already contributed fixed asset module to you guys and last time i know @rushabh_mehta was having it under queue for testing purpose and still it has not been tested and integrated. Link:

Hello,
This is my first post on ERPNext.
Great tool and very interesting features.
I just looked for the payment tool and i don’t seem to have it.
I have access to all modules under my profile.
Do I need to do anything extra?

Hello @tiwiex,

Please check out “Payment Gateway”. You can search for it using the ERPNext awesome search bar.
There’s also paypal integration for frappe over here: GitHub - frappe/paypal_integration: Paypal API Integrations if you’re interested.

Update: Check out the following links below for Payment Requests
https://frappe.github.io/erpnext/user/manual/en/accounts/payment-request
https://frappe.github.io/erpnext/current/models/accounts/payment_gateway_account

Hope it helps. :slight_smile: