Computer for workstations in manufacturing floor?

Hi,
We are setting up a small factory with 8-10 different work stations where different tasks gets done. I am now looking into purchasing the equipment for the workstations. I am considering giving each employee a smart phone, having a tablet fixed at the work station, or having a fixed PC with a separate keyboard, mouse and screen on each workstation.

The only use of the workstations would be to work with “work orders” in ERPnext; see what materials to use, what tasks to perform, and check these off as they got

What are your suggestions when it comes to the preferred environment for these workstations? Table, phone or stationary computer? The cost is about the same, so I’m mostly after something that will work reall well.

Kindly
Anders

1 Like

Fixed PC is a better option.

Thank you mangroliya!

Do you have any arguments as to why it is better? Or some documentation I could read spelling out the pros and cons?

Kindly Anders

The size and resolution of the screen: A tablet or a desktop computer may offer a larger and clearer display than a mobile phone, which can make it easier to view and enter the work orders and job details in ERPNext. Also, Physical Keyboard and mouse will help in faster data entry compared to a touch only device.

The connectivity and reliability of the network: A desktop computer may have a more stable and secure connection than a tablet or a mobile phone, which can depend on Wi-Fi or cellular signals that may vary in quality and availability.

The flexibility and mobility of the device: A tablet or a mobile phone may offer more portability and convenience than a desktop computer, which can be useful for workers who need to move around the production floor or access ERPNext on the go.

The compatibility and functionality of the device: A desktop computer may have more processing power and storage capacity than a tablet or a mobile phone, which can affect the performance and speed of ERPNext. However, ERPNext UI is designed to be responsive and work on any device, so the difference may not be significant.

The best option for you may depend on your specific needs, preferences, and budget. You may want to compare the features and costs of different devices before deciding.

Hi Anders,

It’s great to hear about your upcoming ERPNext implementation! Based on our experience, we have a slightly different but equally cost-effective suggestion for you.

We have recently experimented with Raspberry Pi 400 as a workstation setup for ERPNext/Frappe implementations, and the results were amazing. The Pi 400 is a compact, integrated solution that offers an excellent performance for this kind of use-case, especially because Frappe’s client-side rendering isn’t very resource-intensive. The entire setup includes a keyboard, so it saves you from the hassle of managing separate keyboards and mice.

While we’ve used the Raspberry Pi 400, in my personal opinion, any single-board computer (SBC) should work well. SBCs are compact, energy-efficient, and capable of running ERPNext smoothly. As such, they make a great alternative to traditional desktops or mobile devices for ERPNext workstations.

Here are some other SBCs similar to Raspberry Pi that you might consider:

1. Orange Pi: Another cost-effective SBC with a range of different models to choose from, depending on your needs.
  2. Banana Pi: A series of open-source SBCs that offer good performance for their price.
  3. Odroid: These SBCs are a bit more expensive, but they offer superior performance and more features.
  4. Pine64: Known for their balance between cost and capabilities, a worthy consideration.
  5. ASUS Tinker Board: A more powerful alternative to Raspberry Pi with extra features.

Each of these has its own strengths, so you might want to research a bit more on which one would best fit your needs.

I hope this gives you another perspective to consider. It’s a flexible, cost-efficient setup that we’ve found to work exceptionally well in practice. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or need more information.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Wonderful - many thanks for a detailed response. Raspberry pi 400 it is! :smiley:

1 Like

Hey there! I was just wondering if you’ve had a chance to try out an SBC yet? If you have, I’d absolutely love to hear about your experience!

Are you sure we should use SCB?

I feel as we use ERPNext there will be lots of data getting generated and processing that data will start taking its toll.

We’ve put it through its paces, and it’s done quite well. While it can be quite demanding, the good news is that most of the heavy lifting happens server-side, not on the client.

Now, we wouldn’t typically suggest using a Single Board Computer (SBC) as the server, but more so as a client. That said, with how powerful modern SBCs have become, it’s actually becoming quite plausible to use them as servers too. We’re eager to see how that goes!

Stay tuned, because as soon as we have more insights into using an SBC-based server for running ERPNext, we’ll be sure to let our wonderful community know.

3 Likes

looking forward to see good news.

1 Like

Hi all, sorry for my late reply. We’ve been evaluating options so I haven’t hade much to report as of yet. But now atleast I have something;

1. Using the raspberry pi 4B works. But it feels slow and laggy, so I would not recommend it.
  2. Using the raspberry pi 5 works great. Highly recommended. We use it along with old 2nd hand screens and keyboard and we get a full setup for like $150, and if something breaks we can change that part. We tried running them without the cpu fan and that also works fine (we’re in a a dirty environment so sooner or later the fan will break)
  3. We also got our hands on a number of old laptops. Intel i5s from 8th generation. We installed lubuntu on these, and they also work great. They were cheaper (about $60 each) but they will probable need to be replaced completely when they get so dirty that they don’t work anymore, so in the long run it might be a more expensive route.