Desk 2.0 - New Navigation

I agree that I have not personally thought all the way through ERPnext for mobile and feel like that is almost a completely separate set of problems all together. But I did consider it and how any change would also need to change mobile as well.
I do feel though that a few problems are solved by the proposed solution and how it would work for mobile as well. As you can see from the first set of screen shots combining selection of an app and menu into t one you can tap the menu select your new page/listview and the menu would close. If you need to change modules/apps tap the icon, the side menu changes, tap the menu item from the changed side menu and the menu closes. Although I am not claiming this will truly revolutionize the mobile app, I think the solution also improves mobile, but we will have to implement it well.

2 Likes

Well, simply making the default screen menu narrower on the left by using the icons will be an improvement. If the other menus are all “slide-out” from there, we might have a better chance of getting it to work.

BKM

So lets bear in mind here that usually a new solution looks really nice, but you don’t really understand its flaws until you start using it. I would strongly recommend getting small improvements merged first so you understand the scale and complexity and also get to move quickly.

A large PR at this stage would take a very long time to review, test and merge and there may be some parts that could go in very quickly and unfortunately held up due to the other parts which may have issues. Also any new contributor does take sometimes to understand the contribution standards.

All the best!

2 Likes

Lets move the discussion here!

https://discuss.frappe.io

This topic has been moved to Frappe Forum, Please continue your participation and sharing your ideas there.

Here Is the Link: https://discuss.frappe.io/t/desk-2-0-getting-started/83

1 Like

Reminds me of the Search bar in the Settings section of my iPhone. I use it because I can’t remember where in the sub-menus that damn settings is in…

Hello Joshreeder,
How much progress have you gone with this. Navigation would be a huge challenge for end users which is how I found this thread. Also the longest thread I have stubled upon which means something is missing in ERPNext.

I needed some context menu for a doctype which is where the search started. for instance, if i was in Selling, I should be able to see all the reports and custom reports in the side bar and not all the module lists which is of no importance to me. Surprisingly, the training video has that feature but the install does not. I did a post of this here Access to custom reports

So, how much work have you done on the UX? I would really like to know and hopefully contribute my one cent.

Thanks

A mini update (I’m on Josh’s team):
We’ve been implementing non-UI pieces for the lead customer, which is a large pile of customizations and custom apps. This work has been in the back of our minds at all times and the Frappe team have had made a few changes that would help us build it more easily, which is awesome and makes me anxious. The core issue of Frappe/ERPNext (to me) is that it’s an odd mix of text input and mouse/touch(mobile) and navigation in particular should work better at both ends of the spectrum (desktop power users <<<>>> tiny mobile screens). This means both more keyboard bindings and better mobile views.

1 Like

What is the current status of the current status of this effort?

There are two pull requests open:

And:

Both are ready to pull in but have not yet been merged. These are prerequisites to the sidebar, the work for which is done and also ready to be submitted for a PR, but we’ve been following the requests of the maintainers and keeping the changes small.

3 Likes

@tmatteson The first looks like @johnhkelly (on github) needs to do some corrections? The second looks like @netchampfaris did not check the PR yet, right?

1 Like

Looks like we got a little movement this week. We separated the pull requests to make them “incremental” as requested but as originally expected, they don’t really stand alone. Custom homepage doesn’t make sense without sidebar. So I believe we are merging those and trying to get them approved. @tmatteson may have more info.

5 Likes

Hey friends, as I’m sure you are all aware, we did our best to move forward on desk 2.0 in a way we would have the full support of the governing body only to find out that they decided to go in a completely different direction.

While we are all very disheartened by certain decisions, we are not giving up. We are users like you and need certain things not echoed by everyone. We will keep you informed as we move to make a standalone Frappe app that will offer new UI/UX and navigation functionality we would like to use. Please stay in touch and share your support here so we can know who is looking for a solution like this so we can keep you up to date as we get things done.

If you’re a coder and willing to help with some front-end muscle, please let us know.

14 Likes

Thanks. From the video i saw it looked great. Plus i tried your origin repo a couple of months ago and it was nice to use.

I can only speak for myself but i am excited to see what you release.

I feel its a shame. with the pull requests it looks like you simply choose what you wanted. I guess this is more of like what odoo or flectra does with there themes.

I am very excited about this and would love to help if I can. I have been researching how to use the React grid layout code (exactly what Metabase uses) to create a widget customized command center page (as opposed to a desktop) that would incorporate reports, charts and transactions on a single screen. Here is a link to the Github project for reference.

3 Likes

Thanks mslake for sharing. The React grid layout looks cool. May I know where you plan to design this into? To replace the desktop page?

For me, it’s totally find as it give a flexibility to move/sizing around for each module/functions.

Thanks.

This comment is difficult for me to understand. Would you mind being a bit more specific or point me to a page where I can read more? What is the “different direction”?

Martin, look at the thread below:

1 Like