My goal over the next couple days is to get a plan that is approved and supported by the core Frappe team and any named active community devs who will help manage or participate in getting this done quickly.
If a group call is best we can do that or we can talk about it on the foundation call. Please support me even though I am very new to the community.
I know that this may look to some of you like I am rushing in to change things with not understanding of what has gotten us to this point or all of the amazing work that has gone into making Frappe or ERPnext. Please understand I have the utmost respect and appreciation for the team and community and that is why I have become so passionate about the platform and want to join up and devote the majority of my time to helping make it the best it can be. My experience in these areas spans 15 years of design and UI/UX as well as being a serial entrepreneur and leading 5 different startups.
I am NOT privy to the Frappe Teams development process and timeline and do not want to assume control or step on anyone in leadership. I am merely trying to collaboratively create a plan with the principle leadership so we can get this done well and in record time.
Please… If you do not like some part of the plan or see issues, propose specific constructive changes / alternatives additional plans to the plan below.
Simply put, if you don’t like something, but can’t articulate a fully thought through alternative plan you are willing to own and manage and / or fund - do not comment until you can.
Desk 2.0 - Proposed Plan
(changes will be edited inline)
- Outline navigation layout changes for Frappe - Desk 2.0
- Outline new file organization structure required and any options needed for Desk 2.0
- Outline all current doctypes, pages and views etc for Frappe and where they will be placed in the Desk 2.0 menus
- Outline Beta plan for making menus editable
- Outline all current doctypes, pages and views etc for ERPnext and where they will be placed in the Desk 2.0 menus
Frappe - Baseline Structure Changes
- Build option to select Desk 1.0 or Desk 2.0 layout in system settings
- Build Desk 2.0 files (keep separate from current files used in Desk 1.0 for future removal of Desk 1.0)
- Build Desk 2.0 supporting files placing all Frappe doctypes, pages, links etc. to be used by Desk 2.0
Frappe - Custom Menus
- Build in ability to make menu items with Show/Hide ability per user or role
ERPnext - Desk 2.0 Compliance
- Build Desk 2.0 supporting files in ERPnext for ERPnext doctypes, pages, links etc. in the new layout including Show/Hide functionality
Frappe - Additional Menu Options
- Build additional Frappe menu options to finish out Beta release customizations
Frappe & ERPnext Desk 2.0 Upgrades Release
Questions: Please feel free to DM me with answers to the following if these items are sensitive
- What, if any, part of the development is the Frappe team willing to do unpaid? And how quickly could we get started?
- What, if any, part of the development is the Frappe team willing to do with paid assignment? And how quickly could we get started and how much is the cost?
- What, if any, part of the development is any non-Frappe community member willing to do unpaid? And how quickly could we get started?
- What, if any, part of the development is any non-Frappe community member willing to do with paid assignment? And how quickly could we get started and how much is the cost?