Discrepancies Between Frappe Cloud and Self-Hosted Deployments for Frappe Apps

I would like to discuss the noticeable differences in functionality between some Frappe apps I had tested when hosted on Frappe Cloud and when using various versions with the default Docker images and my custom Docker images.

While the app runs smoothly in the Frappe Cloud environment, I have encountered numerous errors, bugs, and missing functionalities during my self-hosted deployments. Here are some specific issues I’ve faced:

Printing Errors: I frequently experience errors when trying to print documents using the frappe/print formats. These errors disrupt the workflow and hinder my ability to generate necessary reports and documents.

Print Designer App: The Print Designer app functions flawlessly when hosted on Frappe Cloud, but I’ve been unable to achieve the same results with custom images. Despite using the same version and trying different branches, the app does not perform as expected. (I know it still in beta, let’s keep the good work)

Payments App (Stripe): Similarly, the Payments app works seamlessly in Frappe Cloud, but I encounter issues when using custom images. Once again, I have ensured that I am using the correct versions and have tried various branches, yet the integration remains problematic.

These inconsistencies raise concerns about the differences in the underlying environments and configurations. My goal is to ensure a smoother experience while self-hosting Frappe applications, as well as during local development and when submitting pull requests to this open-source community project.

I would greatly appreciate any insights, suggestions, or best practices from the community on how to resolve these issues and replicate the robust functionality that Frappe Cloud offers.

Thank you for your assistance!

Because you’ve mentioned PR, add end to end test cases for the critical things you need and fix any issues found. My assumption is you’ve chosen self hosting and you’re up for it.

Frappecloud has dedicated engineers to ensure components work. You’ll need to become those dedicated engineers for your self hosted components to work.

Hi @revant_one,

Thank you so much for your insights and for all the great work you and the Frappe team have been doing. As someone fairly new to the ecosystem, I’m investing significant time and effort to really master the platform and contribute back to the open-source community. A few months ago, I faced a tough decision between Odoo and ERPNext. While Odoo offers more out-of-the-box features, especially for North and Latin America, I chose ERPNext because I believe in its potential and the strength of the Frappe community.

I truly appreciate your advice about adding end-to-end test cases and ensuring a smoother experience with self-hosting. You’re right about needing to be those dedicated engineers when self-hosting. I’m fully committed to improving Frappe applications, especially for my region, and I’ll continue working toward making meaningful contributions. With your support and guidance, I hope to enhance the overall experience for users and developers alike.

Thanks again for all the support and your valuable feedback.

Best,
Edward (edardev)

1 Like