Discussion on ToDo List and suggestions needed regarding event creation

Hi,

We have been trying to use the todo list for tracking the tasks assigned to people but I think we are failing due to certain issues or we at our end are not able to understand the whole todo list properly. The problems we face in todo list tracking are:
  1. People who are assigned some work generally by mistake press the X button which deletes the TODO task and then there is no way to find it back since it is deleted from the system. Link to the issue on github is here issue#867. So if a task is not deleted instead is marked as Completed on pressing the X button then probably the problem can be resolved since then the person assigning the task can reassign the task to the person.
  2. Now pertaining to the above issue, I think the deleting of the todo task is not governed by the Permission manager. I would suggest that the permissions manager should not be bypassed and should strictly adhere to the deleting permission. Now if we do adhere to permission manager then those Roles which would not have the permission to delete would not be able to delete the tasks assigned by them, for this we should give the deletion rights to the person assigning the task which is the field: Assigned By since the Created by field is for the person whom the task has been assigned.

Another thing I wanted to discuss here is the creation of events in various aspects of erpnext and if there is any possibility to MERGE the two aka TODO and EVENT in one view. Now there are various pages where an event is created like in case of a lead the event is created in the calendar of the next contact by person in that date. Similarly there is a provision for something similar in Communication form ( I think that is not working). But my main contention against creating an event for such things is that an event is something that is missed and difficult to be tracked, what if I had an event to call someone on 31-Dec but somehow I disregarded the email on that day and then that event goes to the last month event list on the next day, how could someone like my manager could track me if I am missing such tasks or not.

Hence it would be great if we could somehow have a method if we could instead of creating events for such things create TODO items. Also currently there are 2 pages in the erpnext for organizing ourselves and they are the calendar app and the todo list since both I think form the basis of day to day working of a person. I would like to know if this is the correct approach ( I know the whole world follows this approach, even google has 2 apps Calendar and Todo List) but I think wouldn't it be great to have one app for both, wherein all the todo should get passed to the next day if they are not done like in case of a manual diary where we manually take over all our todos to the next day if we fail to complete them.

I know the last 2 paras are mainly due to my limited knowledge about the difference between todo and calendar events but I do follow the mantra "Ignorance is Bliss" and maybe that has prompted me to write this discussion so that the community could well give me some ideas as to how to manage the two aspects properly todo and calendar events to better manage people and hence increase their and my productivity with the help of erpnext.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Aditya,

We will make sure the ToDo items deletion is managed by standard permissions. That should fix your problem of tickets, but that will put the onus on you for management - or we should build a threaded issue system inside ERPNext like GitHub issues so when you assign a task, someone can reply back to you and only few people can manage the status.

Maybe you should use Tasks for internal tracking (we do that) - we will need include Tasks in email alerts then.

best,
Rushabh

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:58:53 PM UTC+5:30, Addy wrote:
Hi,

We have been trying to use the todo list for tracking the tasks assigned to people but I think we are failing due to certain issues or we at our end are not able to understand the whole todo list properly. The problems we face in todo list tracking are:
  1. People who are assigned some work generally by mistake press the X button which deletes the TODO task and then there is no way to find it back since it is deleted from the system. Link to the issue on github is here issue#867. So if a task is not deleted instead is marked as Completed on pressing the X button then probably the problem can be resolved since then the person assigning the task can reassign the task to the person.
  2. Now pertaining to the above issue, I think the deleting of the todo task is not governed by the Permission manager. I would suggest that the permissions manager should not be bypassed and should strictly adhere to the deleting permission. Now if we do adhere to permission manager then those Roles which would not have the permission to delete would not be able to delete the tasks assigned by them, for this we should give the deletion rights to the person assigning the task which is the field: Assigned By since the Created by field is for the person whom the task has been assigned.

Another thing I wanted to discuss here is the creation of events in various aspects of erpnext and if there is any possibility to MERGE the two aka TODO and EVENT in one view. Now there are various pages where an event is created like in case of a lead the event is created in the calendar of the next contact by person in that date. Similarly there is a provision for something similar in Communication form ( I think that is not working). But my main contention against creating an event for such things is that an event is something that is missed and difficult to be tracked, what if I had an event to call someone on 31-Dec but somehow I disregarded the email on that day and then that event goes to the last month event list on the next day, how could someone like my manager could track me if I am missing such tasks or not.

Hence it would be great if we could somehow have a method if we could instead of creating events for such things create TODO items. Also currently there are 2 pages in the erpnext for organizing ourselves and they are the calendar app and the todo list since both I think form the basis of day to day working of a person. I would like to know if this is the correct approach ( I know the whole world follows this approach, even google has 2 apps Calendar and Todo List) but I think wouldn't it be great to have one app for both, wherein all the todo should get passed to the next day if they are not done like in case of a manual diary where we manually take over all our todos to the next day if we fail to complete them.

I know the last 2 paras are mainly due to my limited knowledge about the difference between todo and calendar events but I do follow the mantra "Ignorance is Bliss" and maybe that has prompted me to write this discussion so that the community could well give me some ideas as to how to manage the two aspects properly todo and calendar events to better manage people and hence increase their and my productivity with the help of erpnext.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Hello @adityaduggal, i know this discussion is 7 years old but confusion of tasks and events has not changed. User sees next follow ups in calendar and opportunities and leads assigned in to-do list. Could you find a work around for this?