ERPNext 14... What would you like to see?

A working barcode field button. The current one does not work.

3 Likes

My point of view with respect to multiple comments, concerns and replies by @max_morais_dmm @bkm @rmehta @peterg and others.

As a senior at user organization and past IT consultant (Siebel CRM/ SAP ERP) in early career,
I find:

1. ERPNext is without a doubt the most agile, modern enterprise application (framework).
  2. Changes are easy to make, as source code is open. Cost is low. Oracle/SAP and IT Organizations would charge comparatively hefty fees for even smaller customizations.
  3. For Other Biggie ERP/CRM/Enterprise apps also: Numerous Breaking changes and bugs introduced in every version upgrades. Customizations or hacks are not guaranteed for version upgrade fixes.
  4. For Other Biggie ERP/CRM/Enterprise apps also: Customizations are developed on top of core. Core is not tinkered for customers individual requirement. This is logical too!
  5. If customization stands a point that it is generic enough to represent a industry, is included in core not earlier than next version if decided so.

So I don’t think it is big deal for few breaking changes, afterall some of the customization was built as hack as you mention.

At the same time I find some members request very conflicting, at one end they say feature fatigue but at the other end they say new inclusions based on (specific) customer feedback

Even I want to see hundred changes in ERPNext, but that is my Wishlist for my organization. If implemented, that is my competitive advantage. If generic enough I will share and leave it to product owners.
__
See everyone of has devoted some part of our business with our stacks on ERPNext and Frappe’. But few have gone beyond and devoted major part of their professional life building a cool product. So would urge in favour of all of us, lets trust people who are completely committed to growth of ERPNext. As world has seen with Linux, I would like see with ERPNext.

10 Likes

Can this be tackled with testing?
After all if we add accepted functionality to the core and provide proper testing, these will reveal if another contribution breaks it and there should be some coordination to unwind this problem.
Of course for code maintained outside the core another solution is required. But since maintainability of external applications is important, I think there could be a board that informs about planned changes in advance. I remember to have read such a proposal before.

Good tests are extremely valuable, but I don’t think it could fix the issue here. Max was hooking into a widget deep under the hood, and when that internal implementation changed it stopped working. The change was intentional, and of course it’s not possible for the maintainers to consider every individual’s customization when improving code.

The longer term solution is abstraction. Frappe is extremely well conceptualized as an architecture, but especially on the UI/UX side there is still quite a bit of work to do defining APIs for different kinds of interactions. A lot can be accomplished with monkey patching, but that is always going to be vulnerable to breaking. Instead of overriding a private implementation detail, what we could really use is an abstraction layer for defining custom link field formatters.

1 Like

I would love to see another “Production Plan” option but instead of being built for a discrete manufacturing process I would like another “Production Plan” for process manufacturing.

There is an App “Process Manufacturing” that does a very small part of what the current production plan can do.

Having a production plan that can still create work orders based off of quotes/sales orders as well as automatically create job cards, while still catering for Process Manufacturing, that would be fantastic.

2 Likes

Agree with the abstraction.
as mentioned by other comments, this could be a reasonable working target for v14.
No new features, but making ERPNext more robust and introducing abstraction layers to enable better collaboration and customization.

4 Likes

My suggestion.We would like to have efficient mobile apps version and better notification system.

ERPNext come to almost perfect. But its lacking on proper notification at least by mobile apps. As I think, notification by email does not help much because fast moving pace working environment.

Thanks

1 Like

If I can choose:

• digital signatures, with imported certificates (such as pfx, for example)
  • document validation, with digital signature on the document and confirmation link
  • Improved document management system (with folders, permissions, editing tool…)
  • a usable Gantt chart, with correct relationships between activities, prerequisites…
  • An SRM version or a comprehensive view of Search to Pay, Order to Cash (reports, queries maybe…).
  • an advanced reporting module (ability to create our own views, through some fields already available, such as an Excel PivotChart).
4 Likes

For the mobile app, on iOS, it would be great to be able to use the standard iOS document scanner to attach PDF scans to different Document Records (ex. Packing slip from supplier when receiving parts).

3 Likes

making payment entry:
It takes 3 times vertical monitor height on generic laptop screen (720p) without zoom to input date, party, account, and reference number.

1 Like

How about a better e-commerce or a website designer. We can take cues from the Odoo opensource app

See image below:
https://tinyurl.com/y5cl6sjy

4 Likes

A few more suggestions:

• Have minimum widths on list and child table columns & then enable horizontal scrolling in mobile display. Currently columns either disappear or become too narrow to read in mobile view for many lists and child tables. The ability to scroll horizontally a list which is too wide for a mobile device would eliminate this problem, & exists in many similar applications without issues.

• Streamline the list view to reduce the number and types of filters available, thereby leaving more screen space for other features. On most lists there are filters on the left sidebar for assigned to/created by/tags (along with the Save Filter feature), filters above the column headings, and a separate filter button on the right to yet add more filters. It can get confusing which filters are active. Surely there’s a way to consolidate and simplify the filter process so filters could be selected, modified and saved all in one toolbar area or megamenu? (It’s also a bit too easy to accidentally delete a saved filter in the sidebar for fat-fingered users such as myself).

• Modify the Edit/Save process so it’s a bit more standardized with the industry. Typically forms (except for new items) are shown in a read-only mode to prevent accidental modifications to records, with a button to ‘Edit’, and then ‘Save’ or ‘Discard’ changes, with each of these context-sensitive buttons being displayed when relevant. It’s not very intuitive to have a “Reload” button hidden under a sub-menu to discard changes. It would also be nice to have a warning when the user is about to lose a lot of changes if they navigate from a form they’ve been working on.

But in general, an outstanding product, and please keep up the excellent work!

2 Likes

Support the 1st and 3rd idea.

1 Like

I agree with the “much scrolling” point mentioned earlier and would like to suggest adding a variety of themes to solve this.
Admittedly the web interface looks really nice, light (on the light theme) and sleek. But many of the design aspects reduce productivity, in regards of screen real estate I want to mention the text input field padding and the rounded corners, as well as the spacing between pretty much all content on a page.
Yes, moving stuff closer together might look more cluttered, but still it’s way more efficient.

4 Likes

I would recommend that version 14 we don’t introduce new features but focus on making version 13 better especially the website shop customization

7 Likes

Agree Here on this request - Setup Time.

this should be possible to add on your end through DocTypes?

That I am not sure of. Setup time is a common measurement tool used in manufacturing industry to account for setting up the workspace regardless of the batch size, and I feel it would be better as a supported feature in ERPNext so that manufacturing forecasting can improve.

When a feature is supported as a built-in feature, it is easier to use because it is documented, the flow is more clearly defined and integrated with other doctypes like job-cards and production planning, and more manufacturers will adopt the system, allowing more feedback on appropriate improvements in features and usability to make to the manufacturing module from a larger user-base in the industry.

The biggest one for me is inventory managemnt in the context of reporting and api.

1. API for stock level or quick stock
  2. API for customer balance
  3. Control validation in the form of business rule. Not one sized fit all, Validation that can be turn off and on base on your needs.
  4. Ability to convert stock in different UOM base on item UOM configuration
  5. Ability to set up pricing from item screen. Example add card in item screen that can view or edit price with out going to item price.

Jobs and Jobs Costing module or functionality would be very useful.
Has caused the package to be a non starter several times.
As distinct from projects.
Have adapted the sales order function to achieve, however, is very limited usefulness this way.