ERPNext in an internal server seems to require internet connection to the outside

Hello!

i successfully installed latest version of ERPNext on my Ubuntu laptop yesterday.

today, i was trying to learn how to use it with my colleague. at the time we were doing this, we did not have wifi turned on.

with no wifi, i was able to login to my site (localhost:8000), but couldnt switch to “desk”. i get a “you do not have an internet connection” message pop up, and i can only see the “E” logo, and not my desktop icons. this is also true if i login as Administrator.

i was surprised by this. why does erpnext on an internal server require an internet connection to the outside to work properly??

newbie here so please excuse this newbie-ish question. :slight_smile:

thank you for helping!

2 Likes

smells a bit as if frappe was installed but the ERPNext installation was not quite there. How did you do the installation?

thanks for the quick reply.
it seems i need to add “developer_mode” : true to common_site_config.json as suggested in Standalone Installation - Running without Internet.

when i did that, i was able to get to the “desk”.

i wonder if someone could explain why i have to do that?

thanks!

me too.

can you tell why you need to cut off the internet connection?

i just didnt have it turned on at that time. didnt think i needed internet connection.

to answer your question re: how i installed ERPNext, i just followed the instructions in:

bench get-app erpnext GitHub - frappe/erpnext: Free and Open Source Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)

bench --site site1.local install-app erpnext

actually I tried this with one of my local test instances (running inside Linux Containers) …

and it seems I can use it without any problem when internet is not available (indicated by the 2 arrows on the upper right).

I am guessing … can it be you are running on the develop branch?

btw, that would not be the way to run a production ERPNext enstance (especially without much expertize/experience)

Yes, I’m running on a developer branch. But I would have thought that running on a developer branch or not, a local erpnext instance should work just fine when an internet connection is not available.

It seems that after I added “developer_mode” : true, the redis server is running on a standalone mode, instead of complaining that I dont have an internet connection (and consequently triggering some sort of cascading failure??)

So this is only the second day I’ve been trying to familiarize myself with ERPNext. You could say I’m kicking the tires to see if it’s going to be suitable for me. So I * AM * a * NEWBIE * :slight_smile:

Good luck with your testing. It’s a great application and only getting better. We’re here if you need a hand

1 Like

Not sure what is the issue, but ERPNext does not require internet connection unless you want to see the embedded YouTube videos in the learn module… can’t think of anything thing else that might break.

@rmehta I have the same issue. If I remove my wireless connection in my standalone ERPNext installation, I need to be connected to a network(with or without internet) in order for the application to run properly.
Couple of weeks ago, I sent a message to your sales team. I want to work as a partner for ERPNext here in Cameroon

1 Like

solved by this Standalone Installation - Running without Internet - #2 by achillesrasquinha
simply add “developer_mode”: true to site_config.json

I’ve just installed v12.13.0 by using frappe_docker (using env-local) and I have the same problem: the “no connection” popup always shows and I can’t log in to ERPNext desk, unless I am connected to the internet.

Could someone help me? Or, should I create a new post instead of replying this?

Btw, I am new to ERPNext, and still searching for the most suitable “mini” ERP app.