ERPNext Release Cycle

Improving the quality of existing features should be in top priority. I am novice to ERPNext, found some interesting features during my evaluation, but unfortunately many of them not working. Example is, multiple values in filter in List view not working, Dynamic filter for Query report does not work etc. These are all basic and essential features. I am not sure whether I am doing something wrong, but desperate in getting some help.

5 Likes

Open github issues. Thanks

Yes that is the question

While this is THE place to learn, imho best to first take the time to search, read and inform yourself - then share what ‘ahah got it’ pointers you find, that will benefit you and the community as a whole…

i second this… Is there a way for us to contribute regarding the ux part?..

I totally agree on this one, as a user I would say some features are not quite working as expected. (some reports and bank reconciliation, etc…)
As a developer, I also suggest that the updating the documentation of certain features are also very helpful for people like me who wants to contribute and gain deep understanding of ERPNext.

I found Developer Cheatsheet · frappe/frappe Wiki · GitHub need some updates and more details on testing. Aslo it will be great to have some step-through tutorials on how to understanding each module (regarding to design parterns or correct work flow) in erpnext so that new developers can dive into.

Maybe it’s just me, but almost 90% time I have to write my own modification in customized app instead of taking advantage of the build-in tool that frappe and erpnext offer.

Thank you for the announcement and all the efforts during the development, I wish I can learn more to join the contribution towards ERPNext.

2 Likes

@nabinhait
Hey Nabin,
I would interested and understanding why think that is the case:

It is interesting to see that alot of people “complain” about feature quality. What is Frappe/ERP’s approach on answering to feedback like this? We often times face similar we find feature, that somehow work but don’t seem to be finalized. Instead of receiving a more advanced version in a later release, often times we just get more and more new features, that are also “not ready”.

Usually in these type of dicuss threads, I don’t see frappe/erp employees answers or addressing concerns like this.

What are your thoughts on this?

4 Likes

Most of the features have been designed with certain use cases in mind and may not work for other use cases. When these get reported by frappe customers we fix them for everyone.

As far as the forum is concerned, there is unfortunately no bandwidth to answer unless we hire more people (working on it). I think there is now a growing number of contributors on GitHub who are helping fix these things.

4 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts and I totally understand. I am happy that you concisely answered and didn’t feel offended (which was not my intention). I am looking forward to how the ecosystem evolves and I just keep hoping that together as a community we will make ERPNext an outstanding product with well-designed features, that radiate quality.
I have heard you even hired the first UX-Designers? Sounds like a good next step.

I’m waiting for today release :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any update on the version 13 release date? At least, we would like to see the raw roadmap for this version.

1 Like

At the moment, there are many V13 available for you to play with. They are all on github just check the different branches and pick the one you’d like :wink:

you may have to use:

> bench --site <yoursite> switch-to-branch <version13-youwant> frappe erpnext

1 Like

I mean a stable version like a “real” beta version. Right now each ERPNext beta version come with new major change (include breaking changes) so each version intro different bugs. Because there are many versions so no version is most stable for end-users when we stop adding big refact or breaking changes.

1 Like

so the v13 release date was in first week of April 2021 - Looking forward to it! FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Was to be 1st April Week 2020. :grinning:

2 Likes

Is that means beta version was upgraded and V13 is stable from 1st April 2021

We are an automotive service center, we tried to use erpnext for our use. but we couldn’t develop a module for the automotive service center also we asked someone else to develop in both we were faced with many bugs. Is developing an automotive module on the ERPNext to-do list in erpnext version14?

I highly doubt it but you never know. If someone has a good working app then it can be added as a new module. Why don’t you share your app git repository here and let some folks look into. There are some excellent developers on the forum. If they have similar use case they can work on it and share the code back to community. In open source everyone can benefit.

The first step would be to write (with as much detail as you can) a description of what you would want / need such a module to be able to do. That would allow people to see what you need and if they have some / all of that already or can suggest how to build it.

If you were planning to pay for the development then there are a number of partners listed on the main ERPNext website who would possibly be able to help you.

If you are hoping that it will be developed as an open source module then I suspect it would be a small steps growth of such a module, but that may be enough to get you started using the system.

1 Like