ERPNext version 9 upgrade test in high data live environment

It’s all good, let’s let it rest until someone can replicate 7+ cashiers selling on a heavy database of 20k+ items and 11 months accounting data , transactions over 200k+ invoices.

No… it is not that nobody is interested in POS. It is just the people interested are not developers and we cannot find developers to work on it. Occasionally we can get the attention of someone when we have a highly reproducible issue.

My lengthy comment is as much a white flag waving for developers to notice as it is a feeling we have let you down. Up to this point, my only luck getting attention on issues is when I can reproduce them.

I agree, that you have one of the most unique systems around. I even have some systems running up to 4 cashiers, but nothing at your volumes.

Hopefully we can attract a developer to help with the PO module.

BKM

Ok Sir, no problem, thanks a lot, even myself, I cant replicate it, although I have their data, same with the small shop, they have no issues (she has all the data but uses a handfull and very moderate sales), I can only get anything to demonstrate in form of these invoices from them because they are selling thousands of items daily from a vast pool, thousands, so its something worth looking at devs.

@noetico I still think it is the way you updated with all the batches you skipped. Batches are there for a reason. Try importing the database to a clean install.

I’ll try that.
these are the skipped patches, doesnt look like anything to do with the new pos, what do you think?
#erpnext.patches.v6_24.set_recurring_id
#erpnext.patches.v6_20x.set_compact_print
#erpnext.patches.v7_0.remove_features_setup
#frappe.patches.v6_21.print_settings_repeat_header_footer
#finally:frappe.patches.v6_24.sync_desktop_icons
#frappe.patches.v7_0.desktop_icons_hidden_by_admin_as_blocked
#execute:frappe.db.sql(“delete from tabDesktop Icon where module_name=‘Communication’”)
#execute:frappe.db.sql(“update tabDesktop Icon set type=‘list’ where _doctype=‘Communication’”)
#frappe.patches.v8_0.fix_non_english_desktop_icons # 2017-04-12
#frappe.patches.v8_0.update_desktop_icons

@noetico,
although it is easy to tag this as a rant and walk away, I feel this post kind of exposes the danger of

1. not keeping the system up to date
  2. inability to manage risks and the uncertainty
  • to update or not to update?
  • why fix what is not broken?
  1. provides insights of jumping 3 to 4 versions (might be worthwhile to do a green field installation)
  2. highly educational

Although no one might be able to reproduce it or solve it, we should really thank @noetico for bringing this massively long post so it gives us all a chance to learn from each other’s mis-steps.

That being said, @noetico maybe start a new server, bring all the master data and cut over using journal entries and new series of invoice numbers. Limit the number of users to the old system to accountants so they can still see collect money from the debtors or pay the creditors. While all the transactions happen on the new greenfield system.

Might be the best way forward. And keep us posted.

just did a guthub search. Same issues I’m facing. I’m not alone
https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/issues/11035

@noetico I can’t tell if those patches have direct relation with pos but some of them are involved with the items and items codes and sales orders. So maybe a developer can answer you about that

ok, no problem,I will spend a night doing that. I just like whatever I offer clients to work well, believe it or not, I took less than $600 for this entire project last year, they got their hardware as per my recommendation, that was my total fee, with training and weeks of support. I’m not paid a dime for all this, just need them to be okay and keep getting good word out.

I have insisted they print barcodes on everything, as mush as possible; so we can have a more precise sales ops. most of these issues come when items are being searched, so thats our path for now. all the invoices I posted here have the repetition because those are items packed at the fruit and veg/butchery section and other items with no barcodes.

@ganas I think its quite easy; if the devs can just look at the code and see what could possibly make an item feature on 2 or more lines on an invoice, they may possibly see it!

Similar but not the same. The multiple items in shopping list seems to be fixed. The search seems to list the template and the variant (which is still a bug). Most likely not related to the issues you are seeing. Still, I would recommend trying out the solution I proposed.

Yes, I will try that, tough job but, will try.

Not the same issue exactly as mine, but relevant. No problem. Thanks.

On a lighter note …dude …you need to charge more … $600 for all this work and support? Even in our Country that still works out @ less than minimum wage from all the hours you have put in.

Lol

1 Like

Lol @olamide_shodunke just trying to build a client base first you know. That’s why this big shop is crucial haha.

2 Likes

Hi @noetico

Devs are looking into this… let’s hope for a speedy resolution. In the meantime, please let’s know how it goes with a fresh install as has been previously advised. Considering you’re currently on V9 it shouldn’t be too difficult to just take a backup and restore to another instance. I had to do the same a little while back when one of my installations was having memory issues after an OS upgrade

Cheers!

I think we were heard! I got an update from github where I posted these issues;
https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/issues/11453

@rohit_w confirmed that I should pull updates, will see what’s up when I update! feels like a good day. So finally @wale was correct lol; the devs are indeed looking at it.

1 Like

@bkm I think they were able to identify the issues based on the explanations, it must have been nearly impossible to replicate. will update at the site over the weekend and see what’s up. will also try locally and update the discussion.

One a lighter mood folks. I just got this very refreshing newsletter, something similar to what we are facing in this great community and something that affects nearly anyone offering services like this. Pardon bringing foreign content, but I just want us to see this is about our trust in the team, and commitment to building the best erp software in the world.

Please read:
===foreign content===

ICTWorks
Thank You For Complaining About Our ICT4D Intervention
Posted: 08 Nov 2017 09:54 PM PST

ICT4D complaint

Recently, I received a strong complaint about an ICT4D intervention I was working on. At first my colleagues who were helping me with this project and I were angry and hurt. Our initial reactions included:

How dare they criticize us, we’re just trying to help!
Who are they to judge? They’ve not done what we have!
Where did we mess up so bad to get a complaint?
Yet, after thinking about it, I realized we shouldn’t react in the negative. In fact, I started to get excited, and wanted to celebrate. Why?

Complaints Are Compliments

I was excited that someone complained about our project because it meant three very important actions were taking place in the mind of our constituent:

1. They Cared.

Their complaint meant that that our constituents had not only noticed our intervention, but they were emotionally invested in it enough to think about its impact and how it could be improved. This is so much better than them not noticing, or noticing and then not caring about improving the service.

2. They Trusted Us.

Giving feedback is a very vulnerable act. The complainer has now exposed themselves to the intervention directors as someone who is brave enough to complain. In the usual power dynamic of international development, where the intervention directors can quickly shift needed resources elsewhere, a complaint requires great trust. I took it as an honor they would trust us to listen.

3. We Can Now Improve.

We must seek out feedback to improve any intervention, so constituent feedback is improvement gold. Where my colleagues and I initially were angry and hurt, I started to read and re-read the feedback to figure out how we could improve our service for this constituent – and any other with the same issue. If only we could get more honest feedback, we could all be so much better in our work.

That is why I now take constituent complaints as high compliments. Its not easy, and I’m just as likely as the next person to initially react with hurt and anger, but we must look beyond our quick emotions to the underlying reality that complaints mean they care, they trust us, and we can now improve to earn even more trust.

3 Likes

That is amazing news!! You are correct in your assessment of trying to replicate it. I look forward to hearing your results after the weekend.

I must admit, I was skeptical that we would get any developer attention. The new structure of module groups worried me when I realized that our group had no developers to sign on as interested contributors. The effort required to replicate your issues only added to the worry of getting attention.

This is a much better way to start the day.

Thank you for sharing the excitement.

BKM

@bkm @ganas
Was just writing a post when I saw yours @bkm . I have tested and the search issue still persists so to ensure they dont loose parts of our discussion due to the size, ive started a new post, as well as will update on github. Its something we can all reproduce and you can be able to guide the devs on how to fix or optimize. i’ll post the link now.

Please if you have time, look at this friends.