Foundation Education Ideas - Open Channel

I had some ideas that I wanted to gauge community interest on as the foundation looks avenues to champion the cause. They’re not prioritized, they’re here to serve as a starting point.

1. I 'd like a curated cheat sheet of the 25(?) most common APIs and utilities. An expanded version with examples would make for some nice long-form reading, potentially to blog or book format. While this is a challenge for an individual curator/ editor, I think it’s something that the community could provide some valuable input on, perhaps as a simple poll to start.

2. If the community were to focus this same kind of effort on documentation and examples into a “community wiki drive” or “documentation relay” or “24 hours of community documentation drive” or some other goofy MBA AGILE-flavored nonsense term into a measured goal for improving the wiki, I think the results could be astounding. If this is a popular idea, I will volunteer to organize it.

3. I’d like to see developers or teams present their applications in a 15-30 webinar format, where they explain the business case and program, and how they solved the specific challenges presented by the client. Python has a pretty vibrant system for this sort of thing though it tends to be very wide ranging and focused on innovation. I think this system can help raise best practices across the community. This is in some ways an extension of the conference format, which I’m very much in favor of.

4. I’m a fan of the local (Boston, USA) Python Meetup. It regularly has 150 attendees at a monthly Project Night with celebrity host Ned Batchelder. The idea and outcome is something short of pair programming but maybe more like pair problem solving. People come with a range of problems and don’t usually leave with a solution but often with a direction to work in. Translating this “pair problem solving” into a realizable logistical medium is pretty hard with a global base of developers. I’m open to ideas on how to solve this and people have mentioned both Wire and Gitter as potential platforms, but I haven’t used either of those personally and would like to understand how that might work.

I’ll concede that any or all these may be terrible ideas. I think this is a rare area where I can actually help. I invite comments and criticisms as well as original ideas. I will periodically summarize the ideas here if there’s a need.

Think big. Contribute a little bit often.

5 Likes

I’d like to see developers or teams present their applications in a
15-30 webinar format, where they explain the business case and program,
and how they solved the specific challenges presented by the client.

Thanks for the valuable suggestions. I will surely organize a webinar on these lines.