🚀 Future Plans for the Frappe Universe: Compatibility and Unified Direction

Dear Frappe Community,

As the Frappe Universe continues to expand, I’ve noticed the importance of understanding the future plans and ensuring seamless integration between various apps built on the Frappe framework. There are so many amazing apps out there, each bringing unique value, but they often face compatibility issues with each other.

The core of our ecosystem is the Frappe framework, with ERPNext being the prominent app on this platform. This leads us to an essential question: What are the plans to streamline app compatibility in the Frappe Universe, especially with ERPNext?

The Need for a Compatibility Matrix

I believe it’s essential to have a clear understanding of which apps are compatible with ERPNext and can work effectively in both standalone and private environments. Here’s a preliminary compatibility matrix I’ve created to get us started. This table is exploratory and will need further checking and development.

Proposed Compatibility Matrix

App ERPNext Compatible Standalone Private Environment
Framework :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
ERPNext :white_check_mark: :x: :white_check_mark:
Frappe HR :white_check_mark: :x: :white_check_mark:
Learning :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :x: Courses, Quizes, Users, public viewable
Insights :x: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Wiki :x: :white_check_mark: :x:
CRM :x: Q3 2024 :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Gameplan :x: :white_check_mark: :x:
Books :x: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Helpdesk :x: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Builder :x: :white_check_mark: :x:
Drive :x: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Education :white_check_mark: :x: :x:
Print Designer :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Press :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Bench :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Datatable :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Charts :white_check_mark: :x: :white_check_mark:
Gantt :white_check_mark: :x: :white_check_mark:
**Legend:**
  • ERPNext Compatible: Indicates if the app is compatible with ERPNext.

• Standalone: Indicates if the app can function independently without ERPNext.

• Private Environment: Indicates if the app can be used in a private environment without exposing any internal information.

Your Input is Valuable!

I suggest that we add compatibility information directly in the GitHub repository for each app. This will ensure transparency and ease of access for developers and users alike.

I invite you all to contribute and suggest features that can be displayed in the compatibility matrix for better clarity. This will simplify our development and deployment processes, ensuring that the Frappe Universe functions as a well-oiled machine.

Join the Discussion

Follow this thread and share your experiences, challenges, and suggestions. Your insights will drive the community toward a more unified and compatible future.

Let’s collaborate to make the Frappe Universe a cohesive, efficient, and user-friendly ecosystem!

Tags: installation problems, migration issues, compatibility matrix, Frappe apps, ERPNext integration, standalone apps, private environment, on-premise setup, data privacy, telemetry monitoring, public information exposure, privacy dashboard, GitHub repository documentation, open source ERP, consumer privacy laws, transparent ERP systems
3 Likes

Hi @pronext:

This kind of matrix would be useful. Anyway, I think it’s no accurate enough, maybe I missunderstood something.

ERPNext Compatible:

• Insights is compatible and integrated with ERPNext, you can get data directly from ERPNext indeed.

• Other apps like HelpDesk, etc … are compatible. Maybe you mean “integrated”?

Private environment:

What this exactly means? Builder, Gameplan, Wiki, Education… etc … can be installed on your premises without exposing any data …

Thanks.

Hi @avc,

Thank you for your valuable input and for pointing out these important aspects.

Clarifications

ERPNext Compatible

You are correct; “ERPNext Compatible” may be better interpreted as “integrated” with ERPNext. My intention was to identify apps that seamlessly work with ERPNext without additional installation. Fully integrated apps do not need to be listed separately since they are already part of ERPNext, without additional installation.

Private Environment

By “Private Environment,” I meant that the app can be used on-premise without exposing internal information to the public by default. For example, with the Learning app, the entire user list and course content become public without requiring login, posing a security risk. This shouldn’t happen. Ideally, we should have a privacy dashboard allowing admins to control what is public. This ensures that apps like Learning can be configured to share only non-sensitive content. So, “Private Environment” refers to data privacy by default, not merely self-hosting.

Next Steps

I will refine the table for greater accuracy and welcome further suggestions. Additionally, adding these details to each app’s GitHub repository would help clarify compatibility and integration.

Thanks again for your feedback!

3 Likes

If

you might want to look into and very diligently track everything “telemetry”, “posthog”, etc. (might change unexpectly and non-keyword-compatibly) in ERPNext in order to determine if it is itself compatible with such privacy instead of doxxing any info of its users.

This is no easy question because people are free and don’t easily agree about all the things they expect from each other in a free world. It needs a lot of love and humility to become able to objectively asses what brings us forward collectively and, inversely, what might lead to overstepping boundaries of respect of each other.

Hi @Peer,

That’s an excellent idea for enhancing privacy. Starting by displaying what information will be publicly viewable when your instance is connected to a public IP is a crucial first step.

Extensively documenting compatibility and privacy is feasible with Frappe/ERPNext as it’s open source. This would provide a significant advantage in regions with stringent consumer privacy laws. While many leading competitors offer largely undocumented black-box ERP systems, focusing on transparency can build trust based on clear documentation and openness, not just past performance.

Thank you for highlighting this important aspect!

1 Like