Help Needed in Implementing Production Module

We are trying to track our production in the ERP and this is the way we are tracking our production material. Basically we are currently only using the inventory tracking of items in different processes, so for this purpose we have done the following:

• We have created a warehouse for every process
  • Now any item lying in a warehouse is the one which is supposed to undergo that process.
  • We have also created a "Bin" report which has the following columns
    • Warehouse
    • Item Code
    • Actual Quantity
    • Reserved Quantity
    • Projected Quantity
    • Description
    • Minimum Inventory Level
  • Now we have also made a pivot report of this report in Excel which shows in a columnar fashion as to which item code is there in which process' warehouse

Now the above thing is working perfectly except for one thing that we are unable to track non-stock items which are needed for production. Now I would like to remind you people that non-stock items are being tracked by description in a SO and they have one common item code but different descriptions since creating an item code for such items is almost foolishness in our opinion.

Now I would like to know a few things:
  • How to track non-stock items?
    • Basically in this we would need to know that is there a way to know where a particular non-stock items or made to order item is in a particular process warehouse.
  • Another thing is that we would like to take this kind of tracking a little further into the PRODUCTION MODULE where we could track the productivity of our machines as well.
    • But the problem is what I am unable to figure out a way to track the productivity of my machines by using the PRODUCTION MODULE

I hope I would have given at least some idea about our requirement and I would like to get some assistance in implementing the production module to our needs.

--
Best Regards,

Aditya Duggal
Rohit Industries Group (P) Ltd.
Mob: +91-9899407669
Ph: +91-11-25920492,41427321
Fax: +91-11-25920493

Dear Aditya,

Thanks for your mail.

1. Non stock items are not meant to be tracked - It usually means that the cost of tracking the item is much higher than the cost of the item. In your case, it would mean "consumable" items like stationary, rags, oil etc. 

2. For made-to-order items, you need to create Item Codes (you can also re-use the item codes but thats not the best way to do it). If your made-to-order items >> standard items then you need to look at undergoing a standardization process because in the long run each unique item has a very big overhead of tracking and maintaining.

3. For productivity - What you probably need is a way to track your daily production. Unfortunately, the production module is not our strength at the moment. If you have specific suggestions, we can implement them/

regards,
Rushabh

On Mar 25, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Aditya Duggal wrote:

We are trying to track our production in the ERP and this is the way we are tracking our production material. Basically we are currently only using the inventory tracking of items in different processes, so for this purpose we have done the following:

• Now any item lying in a warehouse is the one which is supposed to undergo that process.
    • Warehouse
    • Item Code
    • Actual Quantity
    • Reserved Quantity
    • Projected Quantity
    • Description
  • Now we have also made a pivot report of this report in Excel which shows in a columnar fashion as to which item code is there in which process' warehouse

Now the above thing is working perfectly except for one thing that we are unable to track non-stock items which are needed for production. Now I would like to remind you people that non-stock items are being tracked by description in a SO and they have one common item code but different descriptions since creating an item code for such items is almost foolishness in our opinion.

• Basically in this we would need to know that is there a way to know where a particular non-stock items or made to order item is in a particular process warehouse.
  • Another thing is that we would like to take this kind of tracking a little further into the PRODUCTION MODULE where we could track the productivity of our machines as well.
    • But the problem is what I am unable to figure out a way to track the productivity of my machines by using the PRODUCTION MODULE

I hope I would have given at least some idea about our requirement and I would like to get some assistance in implementing the production module to our needs.

--
Best Regards,

Aditya Duggal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
erpnext

World's most affordable ERP - Rs 299/user/month

Dear Rushabh,

Well if you need my suggestion regarding the production module then I would suggest the following things:

• Production should be broken up into these block
    • Production Processes this would be linked to a WIP warehouse. Now by this I mean, that a WIP material lying in a particular WIP warehouse can only go through a PRODUCTION PROCESS linked to that WIP warehouse
    • Also we would have the WORKSTATION. Now in defining the workstations I would suggest that we define a workstation and somehow link it to a Production process or WIP warehouse. This is based on the fact that in a manufacturing organisation, we may have one process for which an organisation may have like 10 workstations doing the same process on different WIP items. Also there could be a case when one WORKSTATION might be capable of doing multiple processes like for example Workstation A might be capable of being used in Process A and B.
    • Once the definition of the processes and workstations is done we could have the option to define the BOM or we could simply go without the BOM (here I am a bit unsure as what could be better whether making a BOM should be mandatory for Production or should it be optional). In BOM we would need to specify the RM used and the processes through which that particular item would be going through to make it to the FINISHED item
  • Once the above 3 things are defined we could have a page which would basically be like stock entry where we define the Source Warehouse and Target Warehouse and the Workstation with Start and Stop time of the process on the workstation. Here we could have the option to select multiple items and the items would then fetch details from BOM automatically (if it exists) otherwise we would need to enter things manually.
    • Now the stock entry or the production entry what ever you want to call it would be capturing the following data:
      • Start Time of the PROCESS
      • Stop Time of the PROCESS
      • Workstation Used
      • Items going through the process along with their quantities
      • Process carried out on the WIP item
    • Now the costing would be fetched from Workstation master as we have the start and stop time
    • Once a process is complete the item would be moved in the process to the next process

This what comes to my mind when you talk about the production process besides this we could make it more complex by changing the nature of item in a process which would enable users to define item codes for WIP items as well.

Now I don't know how well I have put my thoughts in words but if you need any clarifications please let me know, and do let me know your feedback on the same.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Aditya,

Thanks for your mail.

1. Non stock items are not meant to be tracked - It usually means that the cost of tracking the item is much higher than the cost of the item. In your case, it would mean "consumable" items like stationary, rags, oil etc.

2. For made-to-order items, you need to create Item Codes (you can also re-use the item codes but thats not the best way to do it). If your made-to-order items >> standard items then you need to look at undergoing a standardization process because in the long run each unique item has a very big overhead of tracking and maintaining.

3. For productivity - What you probably need is a way to track your daily production. Unfortunately, the production module is not our strength at the moment. If you have specific suggestions, we can implement them/

regards,
Rushabh

On Mar 25, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Aditya Duggal wrote:

• Warehouse
    • Item Code
    • Actual Quantity
    • Reserved Quantity
    • Projected Quantity
    • Description
  • Now we have also made a pivot report of this report in Excel which shows in a columnar fashion as to which item code is there in which process' warehouse

--
Best Regards,

Aditya Duggal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
erpnext

World's most affordable ERP - Rs 299/user/month

--
Best Regards,

Aditya Duggal