How to get started with the official Docker image?

@vishal

Here’s my experience so far with trying to use the official docker image.
(Note: it’s my first time using Docker in over 3 years)

I ask some questions at the end.

I read the announcement by @revant_one : Official Docker Updates 2020

I follow the link to the Official DockerHub Listing for ERPNext-NGinx

There’s no guide or instructions at all, all I see is docker pull frappe/erpnext-nginx

I try it …

erpdev@erpdck:~$ docker --version
Docker version 19.03.8, build afacb8b7f0

erpdev@erpdck:~$ docker pull frappe/erpnext-nginx
Using default tag: latest
Error response from daemon: manifest for frappe/erpnext-nginx:latest not found: manifest unknown: manifest unknown

erpdev@erpdck:~$

… hmmm. Ok, was that naive?

I’ll work from the frappe: frappe_docker README

Steps :

1. “To get started, copy the existing env-example file to .env inside the installation directory”
  2. Edit as required
  3. Run the first docker-compose command …
  4. (not mentioned!) Install docker-compose
  5. Run the first docker-compose command …
  6. (not mentioned!) move .env to outside the installation directory
  7. Run the first docker-compose command …
  8. Edit VERSION in the .env file to try a different release number
  9. Run the first docker-compose command …
  10. Edit VERSION in the .env file to try a different release number
  11. Run the first docker-compose command …
  12. Edit VERSION in the .env file to try a git branch name
  13. Run the first docker-compose command …
  14. Run the second docker-compose command …
  15. Wonder what to do next…

Questions:-
Where can I find installation instructions for the official Docker image?
Where can I find instructions for using the official Docker image for developing an ERPNext module without having to use VSCode?
How can I get a command line inside the docker container?

Not required for new version of docker-compose. More: docker-compose does not recognize variables from .env file

Please update the readme. We’ll merge anything that is good.

For production it uses three images.

Deploy Production Images

Development - Non VS Code Section
For development there is one image.

Container must be running, use command,

docker exec -it ...

check,

docker exec --help

Brief Steps

Knowledge about docker is essential. (uid/gid, bind mounts, volume mounts, permissions, images, containers, CMD, Entrypoint script, general devop docker knowhow)

These steps are basic introduction to docker-compose. Copy-paste without any understanding not recommended. Ask questions for each step and understand scientifically what is happening. Check github issues, people who know docker are using their own docker-compose with traefik instead of nginx.

Prerequisites

1. install docker, docker-compose
  2. Use non-root user for all the steps
  3. non-root user should be part of docker group, ensures docker commands don’t require sudo
  4. non-root user’s uid = 1000 and gid = 1000. Generally first user has 1000 uid/gid

Deploy locally.

(Production setup is different, it doesn’t publish ports on host)

1. clone frappe_docker repo
  2. copy env-example to installation directory (new docker-compose) or copy to frappe_docker/ directory in case you’re on ubuntu 18.04 and using old docker-compose
  3. execute the docker-compose commands to “start services” and to “publish ports” GitHub - frappe/frappe_docker: Docker images for production and development setups of the Frappe framework and ERPNext

Create Site and site operations

create new site GitHub - frappe/frappe_docker: Docker images for production and development setups of the Frappe framework and ERPNext

common mistake. SITE_NAME MUST end with .localhost for trying deployments locally, e.g. test.localhost

once site is created access it at http://test.localhost

Important

I am not the best README writer. If anyone can improve README for beginners, please help. All current README writers are advance docker users.

4 Likes

@revant_one

Ok. Now I am embarrassed.

I had not realized the docker set up was so complicated. It’s more than I can face right now. It’s also much more than my ultimate purposes require. My entire setup will never have more than a dozen internal users and under a hundred remote, portal only users.

I was running into yet another terribly exasperating install script bug and wasting yet more days trying to solve it, so I thought maybe the Docker option is a way out of the quagmire. Anyway …

I am sure the title I chose for the query and your detailed getting started clarifications will benefit someone in the future.

I greatly appreciate the effort you put into that.

1 Like

Trying to making it simple.

Definitely cleaner and less intimidating.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.