How to Import only specific data?

Hi,

I have been facing a difficulty, the problem is that after every 6~12 months or so we review our re-order levels of items. Now this review more often than not changes the Re Order levels of the item.

Now to change the re-order levels we generally use the import function, now everything else in the item remains same but still we have to import the full data since the mandatory fields are already there. Now shouldn’t this kind of thing be avoided as it creates server load and also increases the chances of error while importing.

There is another reason why I say that we should avoid all the fields because the files become too big, if I want to update the 6k item codes then if I fill each and every mandatory field then it becomes like 20 * 6k almost 120k cells in a CSV which the server is unable to handle and I am left with no option but to import the items in sets of 100’s.

I would like to know if it is possible to import like only Item Code and one other item characteristic like re-order level.

I think item name and re order level with overwrite should do the work?

Let the team confirm this…

Mahesh

Sent from my iPhone

On 20-Apr-2012, at 5:58 AM, Aditya Duggal ad...@rigpl.com wrote:

Hi,

I have been facing a difficulty, the problem is that after every 6~12 months or so we review our re-order levels of items. Now this review more often than not changes the Re Order levels of the item.

Now to change the re-order levels we generally use the import function, now everything else in the item remains same but still we have to import the full data since the mandatory fields are already there. Now shouldn’t this kind of thing be avoided as it creates server load and also increases the chances of error while importing.

There is another reason why I say that we should avoid all the fields because the files become too big, if I want to update the 6k item codes then if I fill each and every mandatory field then it becomes like 20 * 6k almost 120k cells in a CSV which the server is unable to handle and I am left with no option but to import the items in sets of 100’s.

I would like to know if it is possible to import like only Item Code and one other item characteristic like re-order level.

Hi Aditya,

The mandatory fields in the template are for importing data for the first time.
If you want to change some data, at the item level, keep item_code, name (same content as item_code) and the field which you want to change. Check "Do you want to over-write records".

This would let you change a field in bulk. However, it is a costly query on the database and it may take some time to finish.

Thanks,
Anand.

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Mahesh <ma…@gmail.com> wrote:

I think item name and re order level with overwrite should do the work?

Let the team confirm this..

Mahesh

Sent from my iPhone

On 20-Apr-2012, at 5:58 AM, Aditya Duggal <ad...@rigpl.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been facing a difficulty, the problem is that after every 6~12 months or so we review our re-order levels of items. Now this review more often than not changes the Re Order levels of the item.
>
> Now to change the re-order levels we generally use the import function, now everything else in the item remains same but still we have to import the full data since the mandatory fields are already there. Now shouldn't this kind of thing be avoided as it creates server load and also increases the chances of error while importing.

>

> There is another reason why I say that we should avoid all the fields because the files become too big, if I want to update the 6k item codes then if I fill each and every mandatory field then it becomes like 20 * 6k almost 120k cells in a CSV which the server is unable to handle and I am left with no option but to import the items in sets of 100's.

>

> I would like to know if it is possible to import like only Item Code and one other item characteristic like re-order level.