not 100% whether this is the only way to do it but it’s the only way I figured out.
THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS YET …
- create new root accounts manually inside of ERPNext (Click on ‘Accounts’ and choose ‘Add Child’) *1
- export the Chart of Accounts as csv
- delete the lines with the root accounts (original ones and your new ones)
- change the ‘parent account’ to link existing accounts to your new root accounts (only 2nd tier)
- import this new csv with the Data import Tool (now you should have all existing accounts sorted under your own root accounts)
- delete all default root accounts manually in ERPNext *2
… from here you can at least tweak things manually inside of the ERPNext browser GUI
if there is a less dreadful way to do this … feel free to add it here
*1 this is necessary because you can not edit the existing root accounts (even it was just change the name from “Application of Funds (Assets)” to simply “Assets” i.e.
*2 this is only possible once there are no Child accounts (moved to the new root accounts in step 4) any longer