How to update from Version 8 to 9 and 9 to 10

Hi,

Currently, I am using version 8 and want to update from 8 to 9 and then 9 to 10.

Is there any way that we can do that?

Regards
Ruchin Sharma

Simply running a bench update will do the trick. However if you have customizations, things may break!

1 Like

ohh! that’s a pity, how to take care of that because I have lots of customization and if that is the case, then I will prefer not to use ERPNext.

Regards
Ruchin Sharma

Lol. That is indeed a pity. Good luck.

The key word here is ‘may’. But yea it’s always a gamble,

On one side,

• new features, bug fixes, security fixes are always and continuously added to the core
  • you too can contribute to the core if your customization are useful for everyone! This is the basis of how open source works!
  • Going this way ensures that you have the latest code base and that we support your ‘customization’ (if added to the core) and write patches to ensure things don’t break for anyone
  • If however you do need things which are specific to your company, they can easily be done using client side customization. (which are a safer bet as compared to server side customization, and which generally don’t break during an upgrade)

On another side,

• you can make customization for yourself
  • fix things manually in case things break when you go for an upgrade, thereby wasting valuable developer time
  • not upgrade to prevent the above, and stay on an old code base which is susceptible to bugs, and security flaws!

Hi @ruchin78,

why not clone the virtual image, update in the clone, verify and if successful, replace the operational one with the clone?

2 Likes

@codingCoffee
What do you mean by the client side customization and server side customization?
I customized the form from front-end by adding some buttons, fields, tables to it and write the script in client-side script means java-script and calling the functions/API’s created by me for the functionality.

Regards
Ruchin Sharma

@ruchin78

In that case I don’t think your customization will break the upgrade.
However as @lasalesi suggested your best bet would be to take a backup, restore on a virtual box, and run an upgrade, just to check if anything breaks. And then run an upgrade on your actual server

1 Like

@codingCoffee
Yup! will do in that way only.

Regards
Ruchin Sharma