How to Update Item Prices in Bulk?

Hi,

I just tried updating item prices by uploading an ‘Item Price’ template. I left the ‘Do not update, but insert new records’ option unchecked since I actually do want the records updated. To my surprise, all the items with existing prices returned an error “Item xxxx appears multiple times in Price List xxxx”, “indicator”: “red”

Can someone please let me know if I missed something?!

Thanks plenty

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is naming rules. Do you only have unique record names in the list? Also, if you want to update (over write) the records, you need that check box checked, otherwise the system will try and insert new records (which if there are some with same name could be producing your error)

Thanks for the suggestion James but I really don’t think this has to do with naming rules as I’m dealing with Item Prices here. Also, it would not be right to check the check-box since I actually do want to update records! Ideally, there should be an option to ‘Update Existing Records while also Importing New Ones’ and another option to ‘Update Existing Records without Importing New Ones’. In any case, just to erase any doubts, I tried it with the check-box checked and it still returned the same errors

Now I’m beginning to wonder if this issue is limited to Item prices? Is it actually possible to update ANY records on ERPNext via data import? If this is not possible, then it’s a significant draw-back that needs to be addressed urgently

Price Lists get updated rather frequently (depending on the kind of items and the country of operation). It’s critical to be able to update prices via import!

I agree that import is not entirely without issues. The only direct experience I have is with importing chart of accounts and it was a total pita. The only way I got it to work was to insert new records and then went in and deleted the ones I didn’t want.

I am personally starting to notice that while the platform has some nice features, it’s missing some of these core functionalities that makes using it very hard.

Hi @nabin

Trust you’re doing great. Could you please point me in the right direction if I’m missing something?

Many thanks

Have you entered name (ID) of existing Item Price record in the ID column?

Hi Nabin,

Thanks a lot for the quick response. Yes, it works when the Item Price ID column is filled! I assume this is the same principle for other records too. Is there any reason why this isn’t implemented as an option on the Data Import Tool? I think it’s easier to figure out that way :slight_smile:

Also, could you please add an option to Update but NOT insert New Records?

Thanks again

Ideally, to update data, first you should export the Item Price template with data. There ID column will already be there. In the csv file, you should update the data which you want and reimport the file.

For the improvement suggestions, please raise an github issue.

1 Like

Hi @nabinhait

Okay, I get the idea. Please find github issue below:

Thanks

hi @wale, the only way to import new prices on a massive scale remains this?

Thank you!