How to update self hosted ERPNext?

Hi,

I managed to install ERPN in my server.

1. How can I know the latest version of ERPN released by ERPN team? May i know any link to the changelog or release news?

2. How can I update my self hosted ERPN if there is any new updates?

1 Like

Since the code is hosted online on github, you can see the changes there. use “bench update” to update frappe, bench, and all the installed apps.

2 Likes

About the updates you need to know you want to update to the same version (bug fixes and minor enhancements) or you want to upgrade the version ?

If update then use the below from $/frappe-bench folder:
Bench update

If you want to upgrade then use the below from same folder as above:

Bench update --upgrade

The upgrade will upgrade your version to the latest released version on the installed master (beta or production)

1 Like

I thought any updates are important?
By the way, will there be any problem if we update or upgrade?
Is there any restore function if the update or upgrade is stucked/problem?

@blackfriday For safety you should take db and code backups before update/upgrade.

Mostly frappe gets updated very smoothly like charm…!

1 Like

If you are on a virtual machine or filesystem that supports snapshots (btrfs i.e.) you could/should take a snapshot before any update/upgrade

2 Likes

it all depends on what you need, some updates are not very important, but some are risk taking if not updated…

updates will provide modified files and bug fixes only but upgrades will provide features and enhancements / extras mostly.

1 Like

@ramielian and others,

What is the different between update and upgrade?
Should i update when no one is using the system?

heeeeeeey long time no see everyone :smiley:

@blackfriday update will only update your erp to the same version series and provide any bug fixes.

upgrade will upgrade your erp to a newer version that might be a bit buggy and UPGRADE will not be focused on bug fixes only as most new versions have many bugs until reported (in any software there is)

exmple:

if you are on erpnext 6.xxx and hit update, it will installed and update your ero to the next release of 6.xxx and not gonna go to 7.xxx…

upgrade is the opposite of that.

hi @vrms, can yu explain how can i take a snapshot in ubuntu? tx!

yes but only if your ubuntu server is either in a virtual machine (qemu/kvm, VirtualBox), or you use btrfs as your filesystem. Is it any of those?

(actually if you where using btrfs then you’d probably know about the snapshots)

haha @vrms, indeed.
I use an amazon vps with ubuntu 16.04
Can I just ‘reformat’ my vps to btrfs and be able to make easy snapshots for download?

depends on your settings then how or if you can make snapshots.

in theory yes but converting an ext4 (assuming that’s what you have) to btrfs would not be done on a production machine without proper backups.

IF you can do snapshots of your VM I’d go for that option. I have no experience whatsoever with your your amazon hosting platform but there must be some sort of admin panel (where you manage your vm’s). Does anything there say ‘snapshot’?

Thanks @vrms,
I used digitalocean before, and their snapshots are a breeze, so easy to use!
But unfortunately there is no snapshot facility on azure, only regular backups.
There are some unofficial hacks via scripting azure to accomplish something that resembles snapshots, but that is obviously not recommended.

Anyway, I will try the btrfs :slight_smile:, thanks for bringing it up :slight_smile:

this is a tutorial I found helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM6Ic6wdMRE

I guess it is not 100% save to transform an existing ext4 to btrfs and I read (not being an expert on btrfs whatsoever I have to say) that people might not recommend to do so if there is an alternative

maybe ading an extra hardrive (which then can be btrfs) and cloning your system over would be an attempt to do it. I doubt that this is trivial though

yes indeed @vrms, btrfs is not easy to maintain I read. I keep t with ext4 at the moment. There is a ‘system restore’ -like facility for ext4 on ubuntu, but crazy enough it works only on the desktop, and has no command line interface.

thinking of it, can it be when they say ‘backup’ that practically is a snapshot? having a virtual machine without the ability to take a snapshot just seems like not utilizing the best feature

@vrms, I was also perplexed by the fact that they do not offer such a basic and essential feature but as far as i understand they don’t.
They made azure such a complex thing now, that it takes ages to find out how to do even simple things, like opening a port. A simple vm has thousand configuration options (making the whole thing very opaque), except the essential ones, like snapshots, which they ‘forgot’ :cry:

sounds like reason enough to just move back to digitalocean (or elsewhere)

1 Like