HRMS App installation fails at Frappe Docker setup

Hello folks! Here’s what I am trying to do:

1. I am using https://github.com/frappe/frappe_docker repo to install erpnext using the single compose stack by following the documentation.

2. I am able to install erpnext using docker compose -p frappe -f pwd.yml up -d

1. The version of both the services i.e., I ran bench --site frontend version
  • bench = 15.4.0 and
  • erpnext = 15.4.0 as per the main branch.

Now, post the setup, I can see the first login screen, by this time I haven’t setup the account or gone through the wizard, as I am trying to install the hrms module.

So, I go inside the frappe backend container and run the following:

• bench find
  • bench get app --branch version-15 hrms
  • bench --site frontend list-apps (here I can see that all the three apps, i.e., frappe, erpnext and hrms is listed out)
  • bench --site frontend install-app hrms
  • Finally, I ran bench migrate --skip-failing

I exit out and do the same process in my frappe-frontend-1 container. I then restart my compose stack using docker compose -p frappe restart and it should’ve added the module but then I get this error:

frappe.exceptions.DoesNotExistError: Module HR not found.

Any suggestions folks?

A container restart resets all running processes and services inside the container. This means that any applications that require manual startup or are running as processes/services will need to be restarted after the container restart.
The problem can be solved in two ways. Prepare a docker image containing an already installed HR module according to the instructions:
https://github.com/frappe/frappe_docker/blob/main/docs/custom-apps.md

1 Like

Thanks for finding time to reply. I tried using frappe_docker/docs/custom-apps.md at main · frappe/frappe_docker · GitHub however,

1. I forced the image to not be pulled from a private repo, by using pull_policy: never, but it still using v15.8.0. Am I doing something wrong.
  2. I tried going to each servince, frontend and backend container, but hrms module blows up on me.

Now I am thinking to build the image from a running ubuntu installation of 20.04 lts.

Hey @morphious do let us know if you solve the issue in docker. I am facing the same issue!

The only solution I can think of is to get a base ubuntu image, 20.04 LTS or higher would do, install bench on top of it. Harden your image and the operating system.

Then run docker commit <container_id> <image_name>:<tag>

Then simply launch it, and go inside the container to use bench and install apps like:

1. Frappe
  2. ERP next
  3. HRMS
  4. Payments

etc.

This is the real solution. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve shared this. It is also mentioned in FAQ in frappe_docker wiki.

If building and using custom image is not possible, re-think over using containers. Use manual install on a VM instead.

I know, I have read your posts more than once, the topic recurs like a boomerang.

1 Like

Makes sense. I was going through a tutorial where a person was installing hrms on top of frontend and backend. Thanks @revant_one for the time.