I would like Feedback on design for calendar view

Dear all,
At the moment within any frappe app, a doctype with some date/datetime input fields can be used to create a calendar view with the _calendar.js add on the doctype file name.

In an organization like a school, it can create a lots of different calendars (one for course schedule, one for your todo/tasks, one for your meetings, one for your assessments, one for your staff/holiday calendar, etc.) This is of course extremely impractical from a user perspective. All these events should be able to be viewed within ONE calendar.

So here is my question(s):
From a design perspective (think here in terms of efficiency on the system / server) should I programmatically create an Event for each of these different doctypes (so everything is readable under one calendar view) ?
Or, and I am not sure if it is possible, should I create sql queries from these different doctypes and return the results to a calendar view doctype. In this case, just reading different doctype from the db and returning the results to one _calendar.js view.

What do you think would be the best way to approach that?

Thanks for your ideas / feedback.

I agree it is very impractical from the users point of view… and am surprised that you did not get any support from the community…unfortunately I am not in a position to support one solution over the other.

Did you try either?

Hi:

Actually you can do it, calendar view can use “own” doctype as events source or call custom method.

Check this:

Hope this helps.

Hello avc,
I tried this, it does not help. The event shows up as a whole day event and not as an event at the right time of the day :frowning:
Some more work is required I suppose…
RR

Hi @remoteresources:

An event will shows up as a whole day if "allDay": "allDay" is defined in field_map … try with "allDay": 0 instead.

Anyway, I don’t know what is your use case. Could you ellaborate it a little bit?
Thanks.