I'm a newbie, and I've got an issue with the install

I used the install procedure posted here (Guide: Manual Install ERPNext on Ubuntu 16.xx & Debian v8 & 9), the only difference I can pick is that I am using Ubuntu 16.04, not 16.10; and that using Virtualbox.

It gets right down to the "bench new-site site1.local command, and then (I think) it crashes and burns because it has “lost” the mariadb password. I did check this as indicated in the steps. Not sure what I’ve done, but I’d appreciate wisdom.

As a new user the system thinks I’ve put too many links in the message (because of the links in the log I guess). Not sure how I can show the log…

Anyhow, here’s hoping someone has some ideas as why this happened.

Is Ubuntu an absolute must use OS? Where are you trying to host this? Locally or on the cloud?

If you just want a free and easy way to try out a hosted version of ERPNext, have a look at the guide link below. It is not using Ubuntu (uses Debian 8 instead), but it does work and it comes online in less than 30 minutes. It also helps that it is free to try for up to a year!

Further down the thread in that same guide you can also learn how to make reusable and preloaded virtual images that can be made in just about 10 minutes.

Regardless, I believe it is probably the absolute fastest and cheapest way to make your own test system.

BKM

Also you can find production and development ready images for Virtualbox in here https://erpnext.com/download