Installing the Latest Frappé and ERPNext Master Branches in Production Mode

The I had an increasingly frustrating/disastrous/whatever circle of upgrade attempts with Frappé and ERPNext with (default, as it seems) develop branch in production mode. Everything went fine initially, with some frappe_io code to be overwritten using bench upgrade --reset. All went well for about two weeks till yesterday, when a proposed database migration (I guess) did not work.

Background: I am not using the single-minded install script, run ERPNext in its virtual environment as non-privileged user in a FreeBSD jail. I only noted recently that the default branch is develop - ouch! I do definitely do not want this in a production environment.
This, and the aforesaid erratic issues with the develop branch (fair enough: it is the develop branch!), have let me to the following installation procedure (which worked with the develop branch, save for the git-specific instructions to go for the master branch):

Create Users and Groups for the ERPNext Instance
Enter the jail, and create a non-privileged user for each ERPNext instance with correct locales for Python3 as follows:

ezjail-admin console [jail name]
setenv APP frappe
setenv ENVIRONMENT [prd]
setenv INSTANCE ${APP}_${ENVIRONMENT}
setenv INSTANCE_UID_GID [3600]
pw groupadd ${INSTANCE} -g ${INSTANCE_UID_GID}
pw useradd -c "${INSTANCE} user" -d /usr/local/${INSTANCE} -n ${INSTANCE} -s /bin/csh -u ${INSTANCE_UID_GID} -w no
echo 'setenv LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8' > /usr/local/${INSTANCE}/.cshrc
echo 'setenv LANG en_US.UTF-8' >> /usr/local/${INSTANCE}/.cshrc
passwd ${INSTANCE}

Replace placeholders in [brackets] with their appropriate values.
Enter the new instance user password as required.

Give the [instance] user access to cron by issuing the following as root from within the jail:
echo “${INSTANCE}” >> /var/cron/cron.allow
/etc/rc.d/cron restart

Install Frappé Bench in a Virtual Environment

Issue the following as root for each ERPNext instance from within the jail:
setenv APP frappe
setenv ENVIRONMENT [prd]
setenv INSTANCE ${APP}${ENVIRONMENT}
Replace placeholders in [brackets] with their appropriate values. The database and user name [app]
[site_id][environment] must not exceed 16 letters, or MariaDB will throw an error.
cd /usr/local
virtualenv --system-site-packages ${INSTANCE}
chown -R ${INSTANCE}:www /usr/local/${INSTANCE}
chmod -R o-rwx /usr/local/${INSTANCE}
cd /usr/local/${INSTANCE}
su - ${INSTANCE}
setenv APP frappe
setenv ENVIRONMENT [prd]
setenv INSTANCE ${APP}
${ENVIRONMENT}
source bin/activate.csh
rm -rf /usr/local/${INSTANCE}/.cache/pip
rm -rf /usr/local/${INSTANCE}/.cache/yarn
pip install --global-option=build_ext --global-option=“-I/usr/local/include/” --global-option=“-L/usr/local/lib” python-ldap
git clone GitHub - frappe/bench: CLI to manage Multi-tenant deployments for Frappe apps bench-repo
pip install -e bench-repo
deactivate
exit
chown -R ${INSTANCE}:www /usr/local/${INSTANCE}
chmod -R o-rwx /usr/local/${INSTANCE}
cd /usr/local/${INSTANCE}
su - ${INSTANCE}
setenv APP frappe
setenv ENVIRONMENT [prd]
setenv SITE_ID [organisation acronym]
setenv VIRTUAL_DOMAIN [my.domain]
setenv SUBDOMAIN erpnext
source bin/activate.csh
bench init frappe-bench
cd frappe-bench
bench switch-to-master
bench update --patch

Due to a bug in ERPNext master, we still have to install a few npm packages manually. Issue the following:

cd /usr/local/${INSTANCE}/frappe-bench
npm install babel-core chokidar less babel-preset-es2015 babel-preset-es2016 babel-preset-es2017 babel-preset-babili

Provide database server details:
cd /usr/local/${INSTANCE}/frappe-bench
bench set-mariadb-host mysql.jail.vlan

Install ERPNext to a New Site
In a second window, enter the strong textjail and issue the following as root from within:
ezjail-admin console www_py
setenv APP frappe
setenv ENVIRONMENT [prd]
su - ${INSTANCE}
source bin/activate.csh
cd frappe-bench
setenv LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8
setenv LANG en_US.UTF-8
bench start

Back in the first window, create a new site [subdomain].[virtual.domain] within Frappe:
bench new-site --db-name ${APP}_${SITE_ID}_${ENVIRONMENT} --force --verbose ${SUBDOMAIN}.${VIRTUAL_DOMAIN}
Provide the MariaDB root password as prompted.
Set administrator password as prompted.

Get the ERPNext application and install it into the newly created site:
bench get-app --branch master erpnext GitHub - frappe/erpnext: Free and Open Source Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
bench --site ${SUBDOMAIN}.${VIRTUAL_DOMAIN} install-app erpnext
Make sure Frappé is running in the second window during the above commands.
Close the second window.

bench get-app --branch master erpnext https://github.com/frappe/erpnext fails with:

ReferenceError: Unknown plugin “transform-object-rest-spread” specified in “base” at 0, attempted to resolve relative to “/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/sites”
at /usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:180:17
at Array.map ()
at Function.normalisePlugins (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:158:20)
at OptionManager.mergeOptions (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:234:36)
at OptionManager.init (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:368:12)
at File.initOptions (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/index.js:212:65)
at new File (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/index.js:135:24)
at Pipeline.transform (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/pipeline.js:46:16)
at babelify (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/build.js:161:16)
at get_compiled_file (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/build.js:148:18)
Cannot babelify /usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/apps/erpnext/erpnext/public/js/agriculture/ternary_plot.js
ReferenceError: Unknown plugin “transform-object-rest-spread” specified in “base” at 0, attempted to resolve relative to “/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/sites”
at /usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:180:17
at Array.map ()
at Function.normalisePlugins (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:158:20)
at OptionManager.mergeOptions (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:234:36)
at OptionManager.init (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:368:12)
at File.initOptions (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/index.js:212:65)
at new File (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/index.js:135:24)
at Pipeline.transform (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/pipeline.js:46:16)
at babelify (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/build.js:161:16)
at get_compiled_file (/usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/build.js:148:18)
Cannot babelify /usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/apps/erpnext/erpnext/public/js/utils/item_quick_entry.js
at Array.map ()
Cannot babelify /usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/apps/erpnext/erpnext/public/js/utils/customer_quick_entry.js
at Array.map ()
Wrote js/erpnext.min.js - 168.1 KB
Cannot babelify /usr/local/frappe_prd/frappe-bench/apps/erpnext/erpnext/stock/dashboard/item_dashboard.js
at Array.map ()
Wrote js/item-dashboard.min.js - 8.2 KB

I am therefore stuck with a clean install procedure off the master branch, which should be stable.
I feel that although there is a treasure trove of good tips within the forum, there is no standard operating procedure for a decent setup mode (master or branch | production or develop), while the code advances very quickly. This is, as I have said many times before, not good for a both complex and involving piece of software as ERPNext.
The above is an attempt to tame this issue (and forgetting the rather limited install script, which does not float in my BSD jail environment).

Any thoughts on how to fix the above issue? This is the fourth time I have a - IMHO quite professional go at ERPNext - but I am about to give up - again. Pity!

Chris

1 Like

"
I feel that although there is a treasure trove of good tips within the forum, there is no standard operating procedure for a decent setup mode (master or branch | production or develop), while the code advances very quickly. This is, as I have said many times before, not good for a both complex and involving piece of software as ERPNext.
"
Yes few would debate this with you.

“This is the fourth time I have a - IMHO quite professional go at ERPNext - but I am about to give up - again. Pity!”

Indeed we all lose, your expert observations and help are welcome - we share in your passion otherwise like you we wouldn’t be here.

Sure your pleas have merit but your threats (histrionics?) don’t win you much favour.

“Any thoughts on how to fix the above issue?”

Hopefully someone will take your bait here?

Hi Chris

I would still continue with ERPNext if i were you. As a non developer I have run a production instance for over a year and a half with only occasional niggles which I have always been able to fix.

Why don’t you try the normal install script? This is what I used and generally seems to work well. There are occasional times when updates do not complete but these are normally fixed in hours. As you say a staging environment with snapshots is fully recommended and is what I use.
Otherwise why don’t you consider using Frappe’s hosted solution? Certainly viewing the forum any outages are quite rare and if they happen are fixed extremely quickly.

There are thousands of happy users and although it’s frustrating when problems arise there is normally excellent support around too

1 Like

You might try this:

‘bench build’ I believe just recompiles JS code

and also these:

bench clear-cache
bench clear-website-cache

Thank for your advice but I would like to be directed where to find the normal install script mentioned.

Continues here Failed to install ERPNext using production image and also manual installation