"Internal Server Error" problem after Installing new app

Hello great developer community,
I had a problem accessing my site, I hope to find something here to help me with that!..

“Internal Server Error” message after Installing new app

Description of my case: I’m working on erpnext v13, (on OVA version / local hosting)… Everything was working fine, and there were no problems… That’s until I downloaded a new custom app from GitHub, and installed it in the bench and then on the site…
After I did this, I am unable to access the site, and I get a message… “Internal Server Error” every time the page is updated…

Now I’m in trouble, I’m afraid of losing my data and the work I put in so much effort,

Does anyone have any way I can go back to my previous state and undo the installation of this bad app??

There are many things that can cause Internal Server Errors (5xx errors), and it is quite unlikely that you’ve lost any data. It’s probably just a library incompatibility issue.

You need to check your nginx logs, which are usually at /var/log/nginx/error.log. You’ll probably see a “connection refused” error or the like, in which case you can check the frappe logs for more detail.

You could also just uninstall the app that’s giving you problems, and it should go back to working.

1 Like

As @peterg told you,
Yes, there are many reasons that lead to “Internal Server Errors”…
In your case, “when this happens after installing a new application or deleting an installed application”, most likely the issue is related to a database failure… Also, the possibilities of what kind of failure are many…

Generally, you can try to uninstall the application from the site & delete the application from the bench…
Use these commands…

• Uninstall App from site

bench --site [sitename] uninstall-app app.name

• Uninstall App from bench

bench remove-app app.name

1 Like

Yes, I tried to uninstall the app but it refuses and the Internal Server Error is still the same every time I update the site…
It tells me: "No module named ‘generic_theme’

Same thing when I tried “bench remove-app generic_theme”

Well, try the following…
Go to the Site Directory, open the file “apps.txt”, then find the line of the name of the App you downloaded, delete it, and save…

Refresh the website page and see if this fixes the issue.

3 Likes

Yes! site is back up and running!
It’s amazing, I can’t believe how this happened.
Just, I did what you advised me to do, by going to apps.txt file and deleting name of the application and the problem simply disappeared…

@MohamedAbdulsalam Really, Thanks So much my friend