Is erpnext for me?

I’m php developer with good knowledge of php,mysql,javascript,jquery, php frameworks. I have no idea of python. My simply questoin is , is erpnext for me? one of my client wants to me work me in erpnext. I want to know that is erpnext (without no knowledge of python) will be easy to learn for me. If yes, can someone give me a rough ideahow much time it will take to know basics and flow of erpnext?

Hi @Davinder_Kumar it really depends on what you want to use ERPNext for.

As a manufacturer I am more interested in the application rather programming or developing apps using ERPNext . I have absolute no knowledge of php, mysql, javascript,jquery or any other frameworks. I have some basic(bare minimum) programming knowledge.

So you need to decide what your use cases are.
Application wise its quite simply, there is a good documentation available and by exploring you will learn a lot of things.

3 Likes

@Davinder_Kumar: the system is pretty easy to install, configure and start to use in its default version. There are good manuals and videos to cover fundamentals for end users without deep techical background. You will be able to grasp on it in 2-5 days (depending on your previous experience with other ERP systems and ERP concepts in general).

However, as @ajit.jain1 mentioned, the real trick is to really decide on your use case as well as to appraise how much of required functionality (for your specific use case) is provided by the default version of ERPNext out of the box.

If the amount of gaps is extensive, you will have to run into the system customization (custom scripts, custom doctypes, custom apps etc.). At this stage, you will have to get python expertise in your team to do back-end programming.

3 Likes

About Frappe

• Frappe for developers is very easy.
  • It is actively developed. Many things are added or removed to keep frappe updated with times.
  • It has a very helpful user and developer community. (Search forum)
  • Any web app platform will need what frappe has: in-memory database, assets building system, websocket, user roles and permissions, queuing, OAuth/REST API, etc.
  • All components are free and opensource and they are available for use. i.e. refer documentation of upstream projects if necessary.
  • Python environment as well as JS can be extended by adding libraries.
  • Using frappe you can develop web apps and even modernise old apps into web apps.

About ERPNext

• Extending ERPNext is easy. (it is Frappe app)
  • for migrating from other application, there are certain challenges.
    • Nomenclature - e.g. some systems allow multiple “Lead” for same individual to record any incoming/outgoing data. In ERPNext “Lead”, “Issue”, “Communication” is used to record such data.
    • Design - e.g. In ERPNext understand how User, Contact, Employee, Customer, Supplier, Sales Partner are related by Roles. Other systems may have other approaches.
    • Data Migration - although Data Import Tool is very easy to use, you might need develop custom tools and scripts to prepare old data for Import into ERPNext.
  • If Default ERPNext suits 80% of your needs, it makes sense to customize remaining part.
3 Likes

Rushabh’s (@rmehta) recipe for collapsing the learning curve on programming with ERPNext & Frappe (we’ve hired to freshers for the Foundation and they are getting started on the same program):

Learn and Understand Flask.
Then get started on the Frappe tutorials

I am plenty biased but I think ERPNext is the best thing that happened to SMBs.

I think you will become an ERPert (an expert on ERPNext) sooner than you think.

Happy discovery!

Jay

4 Likes

Thanks for your views guyz. So basically i need to learn python and erpnext concept first.
Secondly according to me (not sure if i am right), there are too much bugs in erpnext and on research, you will left without any proper solution.
I’m just sharing my views, not saying that erpnext is good or bad because i’m not capable to decide this at current time. :slight_smile:

The nature of open source is that we talk, debate and analyze our bugs. Proprietary systems don’t. They hide their bugs within the boundaries of their enterprise. Their employees have signed confidentiality agreements.

ERPNext powers over 2,000 organizations across the world. My 10 clients, with combined revenues of over Rs. 1,000 Crore swear by ERPNext.

ERPNext is as buggy, not more or less, as any proprietary system, but because our code is in the public domain, the solutions often times come from the community as well.

You hear about all the content related issues with Wikipedia. You never heard of any such problems with Encyclopedia Brittanica. You only heard about them when they were shutting shop on their print edition.

You have more transparency with ERPNext. Can you handle it?

Cheers

Jay

3 Likes