Is it possible to enable allow negative stock in specific warehouse?

Dears,
We have total three warehouses. Is there a way to allow negative stock only in one warehouse?

1 Like

Frankly Speaking, Nope!

You can actually think about correcting your inventory management practices.
But if you have a use case, I can definitely suggest a better solution.

Thank you.

I suggest my clients to use Excel when they mention negative stocks.

2 Likes

@aa_prashant , @TurkerTunali Thanks for your reply. I too understand the danger in that… But I dont have other options. My senario
I have 2 warehouses, named ‘HO’ and ‘LP’ . HO is where actually all the stock transactions happening. This LP is for selling and buying for the items which we dont have stock. So If there is a option to enable negative stock for a specific warehouse will solve this. Otherwise I am planning to allow stock negative stock and through client script I am planning to control the user to not to make any negative transaction in HO.
But, why i raised this question is the same option is available by item wise. then why not warehouse wise.
Thanks again for your time and advice.

1 Like

So you will sell through LP which if you don’t have, you will buy it.
Then my question remains same, why do you need to enable negative stocks for the LP?

2 Likes

@TurkerTunali at the time making delivery note, we will not get the confirmed price so we are forced to make delivery note before the purchase entry. It will be possible only when we allow negative stock

1 Like

Tracking prices is one thing, negative stocks are completely different thing.
So you are buying goods and you don’t know the exact buying price when you are selling it, right?

2 Likes

@TurkerTunali yes. exactly. as i dont know the buying price, i cannot enter the purchase transaction. so the stock qty will 0 while i am entering the delivery note.

1 Like

You can create a Purchase Receipt with a last purchase rate or projected price.
Then you can correct it in the Purchase Invoice.
That way, your stock levels are never get below zero.

2 Likes

Another solution (A roundabout way) would be to have some zero value qty of the items in the LP warehouse (obtained through a stock entry of type “Material Receipt”), say 100 qty of the item.
Create the delivery note for the item and complete your sales cycle.

Then when you get the proper purchase rate from your vendor, you can create the GRN and bring the items into the HO warehouse.

Then make stock entry of type “Material Issue” from the HO warehouse without a target warehouse to “consume” the qty that was sold. (This will balance the accounts)

Thus you’ve completed the SO and updated the stock values with the correct price difference. (Although your gross profit graph would be completely wrong… Which can be fixed with a custom report if necessary.)

This way you don’t need to set up negative inventory, and the stock accounts would be proper albeit confusing. (Won’t be confusing if you can have a custom field in the stock entry which can be a reference to link the two entries.)

1 Like

@Void_Moon I would not suggest this as it will create confusion on these stock entries, created for these purposes.

@ErpnextRaja I request that you write down a clear-cut use case, with what kind of items are there and how the purchase and sales cycle work. Then only anyone can think of a holistic solution.

It seems we all sure that we need to avoid negative stocks at all costs :tada:

2 Likes

Absolutely yes! We can only find out only after a clear-cut use case is mentioned.
Negative stock is a useful feature but only case to case basis.

1 Like

Dear @aa_prashant @TurkerTunali @Void_Moon Thank you All for your valualbe time and possible solutions.
I too understand the seriesness in using negative stock. But my use case force me to use this. Still I am not using it and trying to avoid at the most.
My use case is as follows. We have wholesale and retail. We are a mid size company.
In wholesale no problem , we sale only what we have is stock.
but in retail, if a customer is asking 15 items, we may have 13 items in stock and balance 2 item we have arrange from outside, also remember retail is mostly walk in customer. So we have to finish the customer first, like we make delivery order and then invoice and collect money from customer. After that our delivery people will collect material from our store and then will go to local market and collect the balance 2 items and then deliver to the customer place. At this point only i will know the exact purchase price and supplier. so I cannot enter purchase receipt or purchase invoice earlier.
So, in this situation, in our old software we have created a seperate warehouse and in that warehouse only we will allow negative stock. when entering purchase invoice for that 2 times, we will enter the corresponding sales invoice and line item number so that the system will update cost in that invoice and at the end of all transaction , the qty will 0 in that warehouse and correct cost will be updated in the sales invoice.
Once again thank you all for your kind time and support.

1 Like

For this scenario, you probably don’t need negative stock.
Just create the invoice for the customer, get payment and THEN create a delivery note. But don’t submit it.
Wait until the delivery guy has purchased the remaining qty so you can enter a purchase invoice and receipt for them.
Only after this should you submit the delivery note (which should now have the updated quantity and valuation of the newly purchased items).
Would this not work?

Or is it mandatory for you to raise a delivery note for the customer as and when the payment is made?

If you need the delivery guy to have the delivery note on him while delivering the products (along with the newly bought items) to the customer, then I see why you were trying to go for negative stock. A possible solution would be to just print the delivery note at the draft state (removing the draft status in the print settings).

Please correct me if I didn’t get your requirement right.

Once again great to be in a community where everyone try to solve everyone’s problem…Applause frappe community…
@Void_Moon Thanks.

1. Yes, the delivery guy must take delivery note with him in print to get the signature from customer’s warehouse also printing invoice first is not possible as we need to print all the delivery note numbers in invoice while printing as per the government rule.
  2. Second option is awesome, enabling print for delivery note in draft status. so, now i am thinking in that way just print delivery note in draft and using custom script i have to stop modify or delete after print to avoid manual mistakes or mishandling… This way will work … Thank you once again for your time and concern to solve the problem.
1 Like

One day your customer wants to buy 15 items. Your store will have only 13 items. Again you will go to next store to buy 2 additional items. Then you realize that your neighbour also don’t have a stock for that. Then you will look for other shops but you will realize that they already closed.

So, most probably one day you can’t deliver 2 items. That’s why this is a sale order which 15 items. And that’s why there is a delivery note with 13 items. And you need to create a purchase order with 2 items.

ERPs should follow what you physically do. In real life you don’t sell 15 items. So you shouldn’t do it either in your CRM or ERP.

1 Like

In that scenario the delivery guy might be recalled to the company, sales people would discuss with the customer about sending only 13 items now and the rest later. If that is accepted then the delivery guy gets a new delivery note for 13 items to finish the delivery. (As the delivery note is still in draft, we can change its qty.) If that is not accepted then order would be cancelled I guess.

I understand what you’re saying, to stick to a well defined process and not deviate from that flow. But real life is a lot more complicated than what the system has to offer (Especially with MSMEs.) Catering to those edge cases with as little customizations as possible is a practice of intelligence and business knowledge.

The ideal would be that the software should cater to the business and that the business should not be constrained by the software.