Is There a Way to Simplify the POS Payment Process in ERPNext?

How can I simplify the ERPNext POS checkout process for a supermarket?

Hello everyone,

I am setting up ERPNext POS for a supermarket, and I would like to simplify the checkout process to make it faster for cashiers.

Currently, the cashier has to perform the following steps for every sale:

  1. Scan or select the items.

  2. Click Checkout to open a separate payment screen.

  3. Select the payment method (Cash or Card).

  4. Click Complete Order to finish the transaction.

  5. Print the receipt and start a new invoice.

These steps take unnecessary time, especially in a busy supermarket with customers waiting in line.

What I would like to achieve:

I want the cashier to be able to select the payment method and complete the sale directly from the main POS screen, without opening a separate checkout screen.

Ideally, after scanning the items, the cashier could simply click Cash or Card, complete the payment, automatically print the receipt, and immediately start a new sale.

Is there a built-in ERPNext setting that supports this workflow, or would it require customizing the POS interface?

Has anyone implemented a similar one-screen checkout process for supermarkets or high-volume retail stores?

Any suggestions or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I’m looking for the same kind of setup. Having Cash and Card available directly in the POS would make a big difference during busy periods. The POS Profile settings for default payment methods and automatic receipt printing seem like a good place to start, although the one-screen workflow may still need some customization.

For the standard ERPNext v15 POS, this needs a UI customization around the existing invoice/payment flow. The POS Profile defaults can save steps, but they do not move Cash/Card onto the item screen. Also, “Print Receipt on Order Complete” opens the invoice print preview; silent printing to a physical printer needs the cashier’s browser/printer setup checked.

I built an interactive example of your flow: Swift Lane — one-screen checkout. Try a cash sale with change, then a declined card payment or a failed invoice save. The receipt is retained for reprinting, and retrying the save does not charge the card again. This is my standalone interface example with sample data; connecting it to ERPNext and your printer would be the implementation work.

For implementation, I would keep ERPNext’s invoice validation, complete the sale only after payment confirmation, retain the submitted invoice for print recovery, then reset the cashier screen. Selecting Card must not itself mean payment succeeded.

If you want this implemented, my complete offer is US$1,200 total, including delivery fees, testing, printer setup and 30 days of defect fixes; 5 working days after the setup/access and starting milestone are ready. Which ERPNext/POS version and cashier browser/printer are you using? I can check compatibility before you commit. The offer page includes the POS Profile documentation reference.